need help transferring data on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by s0nginmyheart, Sep 19, 2010.

1. s0nginmyheart macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have been using iTunes (windows desktop) --- don't cast ye stone yet! --- and recently got a new laptop (um, windows again). I was able to quickly transfer my music via a dvd-r and flash-drive, and also was able to export/import my playlist quite easily. My question, now, is how can I preserve the play count and transfer it over? Hmm, to clarify, what is the SIMPLEST way to transfer that info over, without having to download third party programs, etc.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance~

BTW - I am using iTunes 10 on both computers

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you need the iTunes library.itl file from the old machine.

either copy it from the old and paste it into the iTunes folder on the new computer (replacing the existing one) or start over by copying the entire iTunes folder (not just the iTunes music folder) from the old to the same location new computer (again, replacing the iTunes folder in place there). you can use an external HD to do that or your home network.

JG

3. s0nginmyheart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I did that, and it loaded the playcounts, however, it loaded a bunch of (!) missing files and it deleted all the album artwork... shrug. Thoughts?

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

not sure what might have caused that. unfortunately, i'm usually not doing windows.

what you can try is to recreate your library: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451.

for that, you need the iTunes library.xml file from the old machine.

if all else fails, you may want to consider the 2nd option i suggested above - start over and copy the entire iTunes folder from the old machine to an external first, then from the external to the new machine.

that should guarantee that everything copies over ...

good luck !

JG
    [​IMG]