Need help transferring using direct cat6 cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, Aug 25, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Hello,

I am looking for help and/or a how to transfer a lot of files (pictures, about 15GB) from a laptop running xp to a mbp running of course OS X leopard using a Cat6 cable connected directly to each (read Mac's auto sense the traffic and switch to cross-over cable mode). I know I need to do some configuring of the machine to see each other. Just have been searching and haven't found anything here or googling. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. tony4d macrumors member

Do you not have a hub, switch, or router with 2 or more ports? Would be a lot easier. No need to use cat6 btw, cat5 with all 4 twisted pairs crimped will be fine for gigabit speeds.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Setup IP addresses in the same range on the same subnet

e.g.

XP - 192.168.0.1
    OS X - 192.168.0.2
    Subnet (both) - 255.255.255.0

Turn on sharing of the C drive on the XP machine, and it should appear on the Mac, then all you need to do is enter the username and password of the XP machine.

TEG

4. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replys..the Cat6..is because I just have a short 5ft cable easily available. Yes I have a time capsule (in my sig.)..but this was away from my network, just the 2 computers and a cat cable. Thanks TEG I will give that a try.

5. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

It took about 5 mins for the computers to broadcast..but once it broadcast TEG's method worked and was very fast! Thanks!