Need Help Troubleshooting Account in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlDavis, Jul 24, 2007.

1. AlDavis macrumors member

AlDavis

When I create a new account, the problem is gone. So the problem has something to do with my first account.

My OS X has an erratic behavior. When I go to any application's menu to select, everything in the menu to select get highlighted and it goes up and down with constant audio beeps from the studio speakers.

This only happens with my first account and the activity monitor goes crazy. I can not even safe boot.

Therefore, how do I troubleshoot the account to fix a bug in it? I don't need two account?

Thanks,
    Al

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Which part of Activity Monitor is going crazy? Which processes are using lots of resources or hanging (coloured red)? Also, what apps are you running? Do you have any theme changers or system hacks installed? What is listed in your dodgy account's Login Items in System Preferences? :)

3. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

Under "Active Process"
    1.Update
    2.Configd
    3. UniversalAccessApp
    4. Safari
    These processes appear and disappear every 1-2 seconds. Is this normal?
    WindowServer jumps from .10% to 4.0% of CPU all of the time.
    I mostly uses Logic Pro 7, Propellerhead Reason, Safari and Mail. That's basically it. Just studio stuff.
    No, because I don't know what that is.
    The only login item that I see from System Preferences is iTuneHelper. The hide button is unchecked.

I hope this helps.
    --Al

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It doesn't really help. Okay, so what were you sorting the processes by in Activity Monitor when these active processes were appearing and disappearing randomly? It could be that they're just being moved up and down the list, in and out of view...

What happens when you try booting into Safe Mode? Have you tried verifying your drive in Disk Utility? Sorry for not being more helpful but I don't think we've found the cause quite yet. :eek:

5. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

I now see that my other Mac moved up and down the list. So that's not it.
    I have OS X 10.4 and it will not boot to safe mode. It just hangs at the Apple logo and the CPU fan get louder and louder to where I have to shut down the system.
    Yes, I tried Disk utility. The problem still exist.

Thanks,
    Al

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The first thing Safe Mode does is to verify your drive. When you verify your drive in Disk Utility, how long does it hang for? :)

7. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

I have to boot-up from the factory CD when using the Disk Utility. Safe mode don't work. It hangs near 3-5 minutes. Then the CPU fans kicks-in at high speed to where it gets scary. So I shut down the machine. Someone told me that their machine did the same thing and shut down automatically. Therefore, the only true safe mode is me pushing-in the off button when the machine sounds like it's going to blow.;)

--Al

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you're not letting it verify (or repair) the whole way through? :)

9. AlDavis thread starter macrumors member

AlDavis

I can boot from the CD to use the Disk Utility. Booting-up from the CD is different.

The disk is now repaired by the Disk Utility tool. When I press the shift key for safe mode, it will not work. However, the Disk Utility did repair the disk, but my problem still exist.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Continue repairing it until it makes no changes. In other words once it has come back okay, repair it again. :)