Need help. Trying to find my groove... ram & video question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pfrma575returns, Dec 4, 2010.

1. pfrma575returns, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

pfrma575returns macrumors newbie

pfrma575returns

Hi: I have some time as kids are getting older. I'm converting Hi8 tapes to make movies via Imovie. Albums, Cassettes, CD's, DVDs to MP3/MP4 formats. Doing some photos via Adobe Elements as well as HD content of gymnastics events. I'm a spoken word artist and plan on starting my own YouTube channel (poetry w/visuals).

Problem: while making a video on my mid 2009 MBP 2.53 it froze for the first time and I had to close and reopen the program to complete. I figured I needed to upgrade from 4 to 8gb of ram so I ordered via OWC. Later, wife asked what I wanted for Xmas?

Based on this info, would the added 8gb suffice? After some research, it seems like I just missed the boat with the new i3, i5, i7 technology. With some gift certificates from family and personal savings, should I invest in my future by getting one of these? (I'm using a 22' HP monitor w/MBP)

Late 2009 i7 Imac (2.8GHz 8GB/1TB/Radeon 4850(512MB) $1879 Expercom)
    2010 i7 Imac refurb (2.93, 4gb, 1TB, TB ATI 5770 $1899 Apple)
    2009 MacPro Xeon 2.66 GHz - RAM 3 GB GF GT 120 ($1663 Cost Central)
    2010 MacPro Xeon refurb (2.8 , 3gb, 1gb ATI 5770 $2119 Apple)

For those out there (As I've been reading posts): I bought the MBP off Craigslist for $1000. I've always been good w/my finances. I'm blessed that my wife and I still have jobs and healthcare. We live modestly and know that the above mentioned is really trivial. Your thoughts however are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would wait for the RAM to arrive and then do some testing. More RAM will always help so may be that due to the RAM upgrade, you can squeeze a year or two out of your current Mac.

If you still want a new one, then go for the #2, current gen refurb and buy RAM from 3rd party (OWC).

3. pfrma575returns thread starter macrumors newbie

pfrma575returns

Need help. Trying to find my groove... ram & video question

HellHammer: As I've viewed several posts, I've always respected what you've had to say. I should be getting the RAM in the next few days. I'll wait and see what that does. Thanks! :D

4. Barnzee macrumors regular