need help trying to set up my macbook to my tv

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zackymiseries, May 15, 2012.

1. zackymiseries macrumors newbie

i have a 2007 white macbook and i've been trying to get the right cables to connect it to my tv. i recently purchased a mini dvi to hdmi (female) and then a hdmi (male) to rgb. i can't seem to get it to work :mad: any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Since I don't know of any Mini DVI to HDMI adapters, I might be not the best help.
    Have you looked at Monoprice.com yet for such cables?

And as there are too many Magnavox models for me to check all their specs, I guess all of them have HDMI inputs.
    Why not use that input instead of the HDMI to Component adapter cable, which you linked to here. Strangely enough they mention audio on that article too, but that would not work, as Mini DVI does not support audio transmissions and the colours on that adapter (Red, Green and Blue - RGB) don't match audio RCA cables (red and white/black).
    Anyway, that HDMI to Component adapter cable will probably not work since those Maganavox TVs have no Component input (again, too many models for me to check them all, thus I only looked at one).

Maybe have a good look at that guide I linked to and at the manual your TV came with, if the Mini DVI to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable and the HDMI input of your unknown TV does not work.

3. casspir macrumors newbie

casspir

I have a similar problem. Have a Mini DVI to HDMI adapter as well as the HDMI cable but no sound on TV. Video image good.

Early 2011 MBP 13", i7, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53) and LG HDTV.

If i link a iPad to the same TV, no problem. Video and sound.

What am I missing?

4. simsaladimbamba

Since your Mac has a Thunderbolt port, thus it needs a Mini DisplayPort* to HDMI adapter, your MDP* to HDMI adapter (I assume you confused Mini DVI** with Mini DisplayPort*) might not have the correct specifications to transport audio too, maybe check again on the page or specifications you got with the that adapter.
    Have you also made sure to check check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar, to see what is listed and checked as Output Device?

[​IMG]