Need help understanding how the EFI works.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hdcam4010, Sep 30, 2010.

1. hdcam4010 macrumors newbie

hdcam4010

# I spent the last 2 weeks trying to get this to work. I hope this helps you save time.
    #
    # If your looking for cheap fast Windows 7 64Bit bootable bootcamp drive, here your solution.
    #
    # My system:
    #
    # Mac Pro 4.1 ealry 2009 running OSX 10.6.4 booting on RAID 0 using :
    # The RocketRAID eSATA For Mac a PCI-e add-in card with 2 independent 3Gb/s eSATA connectors.
    # 2 x 500GB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™ Storage Solutions eSATA
    #
    # Windows 7 64 BIT on single 500GB OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™ Storage Solutions eSATA
    # using NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G PCIe 2.0 Controller Card $49.00
    # KEy NOte, ON BOx it says "•Supports booting in Windows (Vista & Window 7) with AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS.
    # Does NOT support booting on any Macintosh platform."
    #
    # "At moment i do not have any internal drives, i used all external. Im building RAID 5 internal and waiting on
    # Highpoint 2310 card before i can finish building RAID. Hoping it comes today.
    #
    # Here how i was able to boot Windows 7, please Google for help before asking where to find apps or how do install them. There free or your able to download demo to get this to work.
    #
    # you will need 1 external eSATA drive for windows 7, i'm sure your internal drive will work for OSX. OSX 10.6 will boot off firewire which is
    # faster than your internal unless you have SSD drive & it also works on USB, which i do not recommend.
    #
    # Download these :
    # 1. rEFIT
    # 2. paragon tools NTSC 8.0 for MAc OSX
    # 3. AHCI by "johnsock's script" i found here http://osx86.co/f74/how-to-boot-mac-...ci-mode-t3159/
    # 4. a lot patience and time, waiting game on Windows to install twice
    #
    # check my other thread out to see the problems i was having at first
    # http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1021423
    # Bootcamp drivers 3.1 from OSX 10.6 DVD will not install on Master Boot Record & windows will not boot using NewerTech MAXPower unless in BIO AHCI mode. With out OSX install on the same GUID drive as windows, Win7 will not boot to disk during 1st install reboot, it hangs only lets you boot to DVD. Other attempts on 2nd install reboot you can eject Windows 7 DVD by holding down eject button on keyboard during reboot. I'm guessing OSX disk EFI has bootcamp drivers . Wish i knew more.
    #
    # 1. you need 2 drives with OSX 10.6.4 already install on 1 & updated
    # 2. install paragon tools 8.0 NTSC OSX & reboot
    # 3. install rEFIT then reboot. DO custom install and check drivers. I'm doing triple boot and you need those drivers install.
    # 4. use disk utility partiton on 2nd drive how you see fit as GUID
    # 5. format the 1st partition with PAragon Tools NTSC for windows 7 disk & insert Windows install DVD
    # 6. reboot, when rEFIT screen loads select Win 7 install DVD
    # 7. Install windows. windows will reboot twice during installation, on 1st reboot you will come back to refit screen
    # 8. when refit screen loads you will see several drives, boot into OSX
    # 9. run johnsock's script in termnal, script will ask you which disk if it doesn't select the right one when you run command. Exit termnal. "Script will not work unless Windows is install, so thats why your going to have to install twice.
    # 10. Open system Pref, choose boot to Windows 7 DVD
    # 11. Reformat your Windows partition and reinstall windows. this time around when windows reboot's during installation it will boot back to windows.
    # 12. Finsih Windows install and load OSX Install DVD in windows
    # 13. Drag Bootcamp folder off DVD to Desktop
    # 14. right click and install as Administrator, reboot & your done. Install windows updates and have fun.
    # 15. the 1st attemp to boot back to OSX i had to reboot and hold option. reFIT, Win7 will load, choose refit to get back to OSX.
    # 16. I dump my pvram and had to run johnsock's script in termnal again after i booted several times OSX. if your not able to boot Win 7 try updating MBR again.

# i will post screen shots for refernece;'s here shortly

# ahci.zip is script i downloaded from http://osx86.co/f74/how-to-boot-mac-...ci-mode-t3159/

Please note he has this to say about it.

The newer method created by johnsock where he created a script to run under OSX to modify the MBR of the disks that have Vista, XP or Windows 7 installed on them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a quick how to for his script.
    He does still consider his script to be a beta and that while it does have an auto-detect feature for the OS you are attempting to install it on, there is no guarantee that it will function and that you assume all risk if it doesn't work properly.

1. Reference "ahci.script" in termnal & use Disk utility to check Disk to install MBR to.

2. how to use startup disk in system prefernece

3. C: Drive now has acess to OSX drives, it even see's my RAID 0 which is OSX & Xcode drive

4. Check Windows Driver's for eSATA Cards

5. is script work correctly you will see achi.mbr & backup.mbr in home directory

# I'm not able to get rEFIT to boot Win7 on Stripe RAID 0 with my system configuration.

# internal RAID 5, external RAID 0 boot OSX 2 drives, & Windows 7 64 eSATA external drive

# 3 different PCI cards, 2 are made by RocketRAID & the other NewerTech

# Hoping some one can fill me in why EFI & rEFIT aren't working correctly.

#I have rEFIT install on Boot RAID 0 eSATA, 2 Drives... This is what it does when i boot with RAID 0 & Windows 7
    Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 5.16.29 AM[img]
    [img]Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 5.35.40 AM[img]

# the windows drive you see is system restore backup on internal RAID 5, not sure what the legacy drive is, i think it's the EFI on windows disk. If i try to boot either it doesn't work.

# if i have my external backup firewire drive plug in, which does [U][B]NOT HAVE REFIT INSTALL!!!![/B][/U] i'm able to get the Windows 7 drive to mount & boot. Check out screen shoots.

[img]Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 5.17.22 AM[img]

# Win7 system-image is 1 rocket raid PCI & OSX is on other Rocket RAID
    # Windows 7 Boot drive on Newertech

why do i need OSX drive without rEFIT install to boot the OSX drive with rEFIT to get into Windows???????? I also tried RAID 0 boot internal with Disk Utility to build Raid, same result.

# im running out of usb & external ports, like to beable to make this work with out firewire.

# im guessing it's driver or something missing in EFI on RAID, im not sure what it is. I open the efi on both in terminal and didn't see anything out of place.

#screen shots didn't work, give me second i need to reformat them.

Screen SHoot's withrEFIT install OSX BOOT RAID 0

Please note, windows drive you see is the backup image.

Xcode is install, just different Partition.

Screen SHoot's with out rEFIT on External Firewire, but now able to boot eSATA drive.

I need help with EFI on RAID 0 BOOT OSX Partition.

if you want to know wht i'm trying to do.

I figure i need to start new thread on the problem i've run into.

# I'm not able to get rEFIT to boot Win7 on Stripe RAID 0 with my system configuration.

# internal RAID 5, external RAID 0 boot OSX 2 drives, & Windows 7 64 eSATA external drive

# 3 different PCI cards, 2 are made by RocketRAID & the other NewerTech

# Hoping some one can fill me in why EFI & rEFIT aren't working correctly.

#I have rEFIT install on Boot RAID 0 eSATA, 2 Drives... This is what it does when i boot with RAID 0 & Windows 7
    [img]Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 5.16.29 AM[img]

# the windows drive you see is system restore backup on internal RAID 5, not sure what the legacy drive is, i think it's the EFI on windows disk. If i try to boot either it doesn't work.

# if i have my external backup firewire drive plug in, which does NOT HAVE REFIT INSTALL!!!! i'm able to get the Windows 7 drive to mount & boot. Check out screen shoots.

[img]Screen shot 2010-10-04 at 5.17.22 AM[img]

# Win7 system-image is 1 rocket raid PCI & OSX is on other Rocket RAID
    # Windows 7 Boot drive on Newertech

why do i need OSX drive without rEFIT install to boot the OSX drive with rEFIT to get into Windows???????? I also tried RAID 0 boot internal with Disk Utility to build Raid, same result.

# im out of usb & external ports, like to beable to make this work with out firewire.

# im guessing it's driver or something missing in EFI on RAID, im not sure what it is. I open the efi on both drives in terminal and didn't see anything out of place.

picture 1 & 2 are screen shots of ROOT external boot RAID 0 with rEFIT INSTALL & WITH OUT external firwire connected.

picture 3 & 4 screens shots of ROOT external firewire connected, firewire disk does NOT have rEFIT install. for some odd reason now im able to boot Windows external eSATA??????

Attached Files:

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep