Need Help Understanding PackageMaker

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by itsamystery, Aug 12, 2011.

1. itsamystery macrumors newbie

I'm trying to build an install package using PackageMaker. Our software is created on a Windows machine and distributed to both Macs and Windows OS. For Mac, we currently use a .zip file because that's the best we can seem to do.

I'm trying to use PackageMaker to build and installer (which I got started). What I don't understand is if the user has to have PackageMaker on his MAC for this to work? Does it build a stand-alone package or does it have to open and build in PackageMaker each time we distribute it?

Maybe a .dmg would be better to then tell the user the correct place to move the files?:confused:

2. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

PackageMaker is used to create a managed installer package (.pkg/.mpkg) that you simply give to users, and they install following the prompts as you would a Windows .exe/.msi installer.

If you use the .dmg method you can place a shortcut to the Applications folder in the .dmg so that users can drag and drop the application to install, an example can be seen here -> http://c-command.com/dropdmg/