Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I'll try to be as succinct and clear as possible. When you create a backup, PKGBackup backs up a specific number of files in each category (Packages, Apple stock apps, app store, SHSH blobs, web clips, preference files, springboard files) but when you load a backup it will have only a partial number of files chosen for restore.

For example: 52 of 94 uninstalled packages
8 of 9 Apple stock apps
0 of 1 web clips
3 of 4 Cydia user resources
93 of 132 preferences files
2 of 4 springboard

So my questions is why does it choose the files to restore that it does?
I understand I have the option of choosing whatever I want to restore but for something like Administration in the packages section it has 1 of 7 chosen for restore:
adv-cmds - Chosen for restore
The following are not:
Darwin Tools
PAM (Apple)
PAM Modules
Profile Directory
shell-cmds
system-cmds

So why only 1 of these 7 are checked off to restore?

What happens if I choose to restore all? What happens if I only restore what PKGBackup sets to restore?

This is very confusing and certainly not user friendly. I've tried tapping on the help button but each time I do, PKGBackup crashes. While I applaud the developer for creating such a complex app, it needs to provide a lot more information to the user regarding backups and even more so for restores. Tip bubbles would go a long way in helping the user make decisions.

Okay I'm not going to go off on a tangent about the app. I just need help understanding how I should make my choices and why.

Thanks all in advance:)

R.

Last edited:

LaZyFLiP

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
I believe PKGBackUp only restores packages & files that don't already exist. So for your example 42 of the packages must already be present/installed and it will only restore the missing 52 packages from your previous backup.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.