Need help uninstalling search elf

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aldo818, Dec 17, 2010.

1. aldo818 macrumors regular

by accident i installed search elf after it made my safari crash i was able to delate it but i still have alerts in system tray and i can t find the application in finder nor anywhere. How can i get it away?

First time ever my mac crashed and i couldn t start safari because of this toolbar.

2. simsaladimbamba, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. GGJstudios, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X doesn't have a "system tray"; that's Windows.
    Windows doesn't have "Finder"; that's Mac OS X.
    So which are you running? Mac OS X or Windows?

If Mac, this is the most effective way to completely remove an app.

This is from SearchElf's Help page:
    How do I uninstall the SearchElf toolbar?
    You may uninstall this software at any time and with no limitations, using the standard uninstall procedures as offered with your computer's operating system or your Internet browser.

4. aldo818, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010

aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you did both the app is gone but the alert of the app is still in the system try as soon as i start safari

ah ok sorry i m new to mac just got the macbook air a few days ago so i guess it has the latest os on

5. simsaladimbamba

What System Tray? Do you mean the Dock or the Menu Bar or something else? Maybe make a screenshot? http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

6. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

it 's the bell on top second icon

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no such thing as a "system tray" on your Mac. Read my previous post, as I've added more information.
    That's the Menu Bar, not the system tray. Hold your Command key down and drag the icon off the Menu Bar.

8. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

it doesn t move i m able to move all the others except that one.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then follow the instructions I posted earlier, from SearchElf's site. (post #3)

10. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

i opened it and took another screenshot so u see the app in question. Thank you guys so much and sorry to border you as i m new to mac i did the mistake to install this app and now keeps me busy all afternoon.

Attached Files:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the instructions I posted? By the way, you might try unchecking the box that you show that says "Show icon in system tray" (it was obviously written for Windows, but it may remove the icon from the Mac's Menu Bar)

12. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

fallowed all your instructions the app is gone after a fresh install then remove . even the icon went away i rebooted opened safari and the alert came back :(

when i uncheck it it goes away till i reopen safari

13. aldo818 thread starter macrumors regular

problem solved scanned the disk with sophos and it put some files in quarantine and now all fine again. uffff what a relief thank you again

14. MrSeed, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

MrSeed macrumors newbie

Same thing happend to me.

I ran sophos just as you did. No items were found so nothing was quarantined, but after restarting the computer the alert icon finally never came back upon running safari again, which as you know, would like clock work prompt the annoying alert icon in the top right hand corner. Anyway, I guess sophos worked, but it's strange considering it found nothing, yet yielded positive results in the end.

- Hugo

15. wow333927 macrumors newbie

Same Thing

Sorry to say my nephew has done the same thing to my computer trying to download "Oregon Trail" please help me make the same bell go away. I've tried Sophos and Appcleaner, erased and reinstalled safari and rebooted countless times. Sophos isn't finding anything and unlike above it is not fixing the problem. I do not know what else to do... thanks in advance.

16. soliloquy101 macrumors newbie

The bell at the top (searchelf 1.2)

The bell was there, i've had it for a months now, and i only just realised that it's malware. I ticked the box in the settings which made it leave the menu bar. I don't know how to access it now or how to uninstall it. I did a full scan but the Sophos anti-virus didn't find anything. I went into 'Finder', and searched any folders/files to do with searchelf. There were these two documents, i think they were '.xml' files as far as i can remember. I trashed both of them. I'm a bit curious about it, despite what i've done, because i hear that it's a potential malware, and i don't want any data stolen/lost.

Any help?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not malware. It's just a left-over icon. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    I recommend that you avoid using Sophos, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.