Need help - Unresponsive iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mr.P, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Mr.P macrumors newbie

Greetings.
    I've encountered a very annoying situation on my iPhone today.
    It's a 2g iPhone, Jailbroken on iOS 3.1.3. More importantly, a few drops have caused the sleep button to lose it's functionality over the years. That stops me from being able to Reboot, Turn off, or Start the phone without the use of an app like SBS Settings. Furthermore, I've encountered frequently the element of SWoD, where the wheel would spin endlessly after an Cydia Restart after app installs. This would need me to wait until the battery drains out, since I can't restart it manually.
    Now today I was going to give "Whited00r" a go, to try and get a better performance with my iPhone. All I did was "turn the phone off" from SBS Settings to prepare it to get into DFO Mode. Of course, I didn't expect it to not turn on again. Every try to connect it to a computer or charge it with a wall socket was completely useless. So now I am left with an iPhone that I can't turn on. I am hoping that I could let the battery drain out like I have done in the past, but will that happen even if the iPhone is not on? If yes, how much time should it take?
    One of the obvious answers would either to take it to Apple, or try to open it up, and fix that Sleep button.
    I should remind you that it's an iPhone 2G. So yes, you guessed it, it's way past it's warranty. And I would like to stay away from opening it up as much as I can, as it is not my cup of tea.

I hope you can help. Thanks for reading.

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Buff it up to near-mint condition, repackage it in its original box, and then sell it to the highest bidder as a vintage iPhone at an antique electronics auction. Use the money to buy yourself a new iPhone.

In all seriousness, you know what you have to do. Take it to Apple or try to perform an at-home phone operation to mend those hardware issues. You might have to do some Googling around, because I'm not sure many here are expert iPhone 2g mechanics. Good luck.

3. Mr.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahahaha, thanks for the kick xD
    But do you know If the battery can drain If even If the iPhone is off? Because if so, then the problem is solved. I just need to know how much time it would take.

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Theoretically it shouldn't. If it does, you're looking at a REALLY long time, like a year.

5. Mr.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn. So in that case, If I get it to the Apple Store for a fix. Do I still need to tell them it's Jailbroken or they won't notice? :eek:
    All they need to do is fix that button, So nothing should interfere with the firmware right? Or would they replace it completely and give me some new phone if i tell the it's a premature button malfunction, even though my warranty has passed?

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I think it'd be highly unlikely for them to give you a new phone. And they can't tell it's jailbroken until they boot the device. Honestly, since its so far past its warranty I'm not even sure if they would fix it. You might have to take it a third party repair shop to have it looked at.

7. Mr.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot for the hand man. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll check if Apple wants to help out, if not, I'll take a look at any third party repair shop or something. I imagine they wouldn't charge as much as Apple would.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

From my understanding, Apple is out or just about out of the iPhone2G refurbished models.

I know there are some excellent deals on eBay for like new/ near new original iPhones and if they are not in their original boxes, go for about $100. give or take.

I'd purchase one of those and place your SIM card into it and you're good to go.

Jailbreak on www.jailbreakme.com (via Safari on your iPhone) and you're back up and running, none the worse for wear.

You could even perhaps sell your used model and pay for a good part of your "newer" model this way too.

9. Mr.P thread starter macrumors newbie

Last thing.
    I'm not entirely sure, but isin't an Iphone suppost to turn on when you plug it into a charger or is there something wrong beyond the sleep button ?