Need help updating my Macbook (white)!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AUrunna, Sep 14, 2010.

1. AUrunna macrumors newbie

Ok, so here is my situation:

I have a Macbook, white, 2.16 ghz, Tiger OS, bought it back in 2007. It's still in great shape and works well, but I am going to do a serious upgrade on it since I found some good deals. I just want to make sure I do everything right.

I bought a Seagate 500bg hardrive to replace the original, and am maxing out the memory, and also have Leopard now to install.

So how should I go about doing all of this? I want Leopard to be my OS on the new hard drive, but I would appreciate a detailed step-by-step process on what to do if anyone wouldn't mind helping.

I have all my documents, music, pictures, etc. backed up on an EXT. HD, and I figured I would just do a clean install of Leopard, and then redownload and install all my apps, (or is there an easier way to retain everything how I have it in Tiger onto this new HD with leopard?)

I figure it should go like this, but please interject:

Back up all my important stuff
    Turn off computer
    Replace memory and hard drive (I know how to do this physically)
    Start up computer, insert leopard discs.
    Install Leopard
    Put all my stuff back onto new HD from External HD.

Gotta run right now, but thanks in advance, and I will check back later!

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

ifixit.com has some great step by step guides on how to upgrade it. That's what I used when I replaced a broken screen on a friend's white macbook. Make sure to keep track of those screws and Exactly where they go.:)

I would reinstall all the apps, rather than trying to migrate everything. The potential for headaches there just isn't worth it.