Need help updating my OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bladeflesh, Dec 28, 2012.

1. bladeflesh macrumors newbie

Hello, I need some help on updating my macbook pro software. I am currently on 10.5.8 (don't make fun of me :/) and I need to know if I can just update to the current OS and how to do so. Thanks!

Specs: Processor 10.5.8
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

That is not enough information to provide an accurate answer. You should have a more specific model number in the System Information screen such as MacbookPro4,1. Locate that and post.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

From your memory speed alone I'd guess you have a 15" late 2008 unibody or any one of the mid 2009-mid 2010 models(previous models had DDR2). All of these support OSX 10.8.

You'll first need to update to 10.6.x to have access to the App store. From there you'll be able to purchase 10.8 and install it.

4. bladeflesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, sorry about that. First time posting. Yes its a MacBook Pro Unibody laptop that I got in 09. So if I install 10.6.x I can update directly to the latest OS? Thanks for the replies!

5. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Although it's technically possible, personally, I suggest you instead back up important files and do a clean install. Updating minor versions is fine, but you're actually jumping quite a bit from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and it could happen that things get quite messed up in the process ( despite the efforts of Apple engineers to smoothen out the process and make it as bug-free as possible ).

Once you have backed up important files and erased everything from your HDD, you should install Mountain Lion and copy old files back manually afterward. Just my 2 cents...

6. bladeflesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, gotcha. Hmm that could be an option. How do I go about a clean install? Furthermore, could I just update one OS at a time (10.5.8 to 10.6.x to 10.7.x ect.) or is that also problematic?

7. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

There are multiple articles on the web that explain the steps you need to take for a clean install. First one I found: http://eggfreckles.net/notes/installing-mountain-lion-clean/ As for "updating in steps": no, it would most likely make no difference. Since you're updating to a major version and things did change quite a bit since Snow Leopard, it could easily happen that system configs get messed up ( old ones are not properly replaced with new ones, or are not fully removed, etc. etc. ). Again, ideally, you'd just back-up your most important files and do a clean install of Mountain Lion... that way, if you ever notice anything wrong with your system, you'll know for sure it has nothing to do with the upgrade and possibly messed up old configs. That's what I'd do at least...

PS: Just to make sure you are aware of the system requirements for Mountain Lion:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444

8. bladeflesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help. I'll try that and see what happens. Cheers!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Myself and many many others have upgraded OS versions without doing a clean install and never had a problem. If your system is running fine now, just doing an upgrade will work fine for you. A true clean install involves wiping the entire drive then manually reinstalling every app and every setting. No offense, but the fact you are asking how to do this makes me think you might be setting yourself up for a huge hassle with no return.

I would do a good backup then just install both OS versions.

You can skip the Lion install. Just install Snow Leopard then from the App Store go straight to Mountain Lion.

10. bladeflesh thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should install OS 10.6 then go straight from there to mountain lion, 10.8?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. Install 10.6 then run software update to make sure you get to 10.6.8, then DL ML from the App Store and install.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Just remember to back up your data before you upgrade!

13. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Please remember legacy Power software won't run in ML
    Personally I would backup all data and do a clean install

Aside from that, welcome to the future! :)
    Leopard and ML are my two fav Mac os