Need help updating to 4.3.3

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rethy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Rethy macrumors newbie

Hi. I have an iPhone 3GS 16Gb, bought it from someone. It has a 4.2.1 firmware and wasn't jailbroken when i got it so i did it myself. before jailbroking it did work with any sim card, so i did not need to unlock it. i would like to upgrade to version 4.3.3, and preserve my baseband, 05.15.04. As far as I know this baseband cannot be unlocked yet, so my question is, if i make a custom firmware, keep my current baseband, i am thinking of sn0wbreeze, will i be able to use it like now? with any sim card? or will i need to upgrade the baseband to 6.15.00 just to use it as a phone. i dont really know that much of iphones, so any help is appreciated, or a link or two. Thanks.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Preserving the baseband is typically for basebands that can be unlocked. If you did what you're talking about you would still need to upgrade to the iPad 6.15 in order to unlock for other than AT&T (or whichever official carrier)

3. Rethy thread starter macrumors newbie

Im confused. If i used this sim card before jailbreaking the phone and upgrading the firmware while preserving the baseband it should work right? As i said before the phone worked with any sim before jailbreaking it. Is there a way to find out if a phone is neverlocked? Btw i live in europe and using vodafone so i think the policies are different here.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

By any sim, you mean different carriers in your country? If that's so, then the iPhone could be factory unlocked.

5. Rethy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i tried 3 different carriers so it might be factory unlocked. Does that mean that it will always work with any baseband? No matter how new it is?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes. Factory unlocked iPhones work no matter which iOS/Baseband combo it's on. So you can update it to 4.3.3 and be fine.

7. Rethy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you dude. I will do it and get back to you with news. I really don't know why i'm doing it but i want to. cheers