Need help updating to baseband 6.15.00

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by forshtay, Dec 28, 2011.

1. forshtay macrumors newbie

So I screwed up yesterday updating my iphone 3gs and now have version 5.0.1 on baseband 05.16.05. Since this is an extra phone, I have no problems updating to baseband 6.15.00. However, when I try doing this, my modem firmware doesn't seem to change. Can anyone help me in trying to update the baseband to 6.15.00, then to an untethered custom ipsw (4.2 or later?). I have tried a few times on my own by using google and am getting nowhere. I appreciate any help.

FYI, i used redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6. When it asks for current software, I used iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore and it proceeded. I am not sure if I am entering the right answer in regards to new/old bootrom (I clicked new) and also not sure if I should check/uncheck "install cydia" when I check "install ipad baseband". At the end, it notified me that I had a tethered software version (which I am trying to avoid). After I went through this process, I went to Cydia>Manage>Sources>Edit>Add>http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com. After that completed, one error message popped up halfway through, otherwise it completed just fine. Rebooted, no change to firmware version, no service (I am on T-Mobile).

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Your phone is on 5.0.1, you can't point to 4.2.1 in redsn0w to jailbreak.

You can follow the following link to get your phone unlock;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1211718

3. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot. Any tips on how to find which bootrom I am using? I've tried having it in DFU mode and went to My computer>right click>...until I have the details, but can't anything while scrolling that mentions "boot".

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Download Idetector, run it and it will tell you whether your phone has old or new bootrom.

5. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot seem to get it into DFU mode, when I run idetector it says "no device detected". I have the device plugged in, itunes opened. Powered off, hold down power/home for 10 seconds, release power but hold down home another 10+ seconds. A message pops up on itunes that says "itunes must check the iphone software update server to identify this device. To enable automatic checking for updates, go to the general pane of itunes preferences and turn on 'check for new software updates automatically'." Am I doing something wrong?

I've tried clicking check now and cancel, can't get idetector to recognize it either way.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It happened to me previously as well. Try on different computer and it will or you can follow this link to find out;

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-3gs-bootrom-iboot-version/

7. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link, but I have tried the things on that site as well and don't have another computer to try it on. Would it be stupid to try both options when it asks about bootrom until one of them works? And if I am not actually getting into DFU mode and am only in recovery mode, is this going to halt any progress?" When I click "check" in itunes as described above, my iphone shows up in itunes with the message "itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. You must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes"

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can get out of DFU mode by holding the power & home buttons for about 10-12 seconds, then let go both and restart your phone normally.

Also, you can tell your phone bootrom by looking at the serial #s. 3rd digit = Year, 4th & 5th digits = weeks. reference this to the message you see when Redsn0w ask you to confirm it to.

9. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I think I tried it earlier, but missed the first digit and got really confused.

10. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch for that, it worked. Now I just have to find out why my contacts aren't showing up.

11. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

One last question - is it possible to upgrade firmware, or am I just pressing my luck at this point?

12. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Latest firmware for 3GS is 5.0.1. So, you are at the latest firmware already.

13. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I think I meant can I update my iOS? I am on 4.1 right now.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

yes, you can update your IOS to 5.0.1 and get untethered jailbreak. Also, ultrasn0w 1.2.5 has been updated to work on 5.0.1 as long as you have baseband that can be unlocked by it. in your case, it is 06.15 baseband.

15. forshtay thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good, thank you! I think I'll wait a little bit to make any changes. I'll double check on this forum before I do so, learned my lesson once already.