iPad Need Help Updating to iOS 6 Final

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AshtonTS, Sep 20, 2012.

1. AshtonTS macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have a Verizon iPad 3. I'm on iOS 6 beta 4 right now and I want to update to the iOS 6 Final. However, when I check for an update on my iPad in settings, it doesn't give me the option to update. No big deal. I plug my iPad into my Mac (iTunes 10.7), and low-and-behold, no update. At this point I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated.

So now, being the natural problem-solver I am, turn to google for answers. I manually downloaded the .ipsw, and opt-clicked the Check for Updates button (of course after backing my iPad up through both iTunes and iCloud. Then when I attempt to update it, I am greeted with a "The iPad "<my iPad>" could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible"

I've downloaded the "New iPad CDMA" firmware file (iPad3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw) from 2 different sites (both linking to http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/Restore/041-7163.20120919.19UEI/iPad3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw) and it gives me that same error for both of them.

I've tried rebooting both my MacBook and my iPad, and unplugged and replugged it, tried both USB ports, and nothing is working. I'm a bit frustrated, but certainly not bent out of shape.

I hope you guys can help me! Thanks!

2. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

is your itunes up to date? this is the only thing i can think of

3. nathanlloyd macrumors member

Same problem here. No GM OTA nor when I plug into iTunes.

Running iTunes 10.7

Don't want to download it and restore as a new build as my app settings etc will go. Any ideas?

4. AshtonTS, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

AshtonTS thread starter macrumors member

It says iTunes 10.7 is the newest version. I'll download the latest from apple's website but...

Edit: still same thing :(

5. AshtonTS thread starter macrumors member

Think I just figured it out.

I put it in recovery mode and plugged into iTunes and clicked restore and upgrade, and now it's acting like it's upgrading me to the official iOS 6 build :D

6. volzalum macrumors member

If you are running the Beta 4, then you should be installing the developer GM version instead of the mass release one. Once installed they have the same version number.

7. nathanlloyd macrumors member

Will doing this remove all app settings etc. like when you restore a new OS?

Ideally I don't want to lose all that.

8. volzalum macrumors member

It did not on my iPhone 4. Everything stayed same as with Beta 4.

9. AshtonTS thread starter macrumors member

Well, putting it into recovery mode and restoring worked. I'm now on the final iOS 6.0 build atm, with all my data in tact