Need Help! Upgraded MBP 2011 with SSD & hybrid drive, now having power on issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bk201-88, Jul 19, 2013.

1. bk201-88 macrumors newbie

Hi there folks,

Its as the subject says... recently I have upgraded my MBP 15inch early 2011 to a 512GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series and a Seagate 1tb hybrid drive as the secondary using the OWC data doubler.

Things were working awesome for the past 4 days, and now i'm running into an issue with the unit not turning on! no signs of power or fan activity when hitting the power button, and when plugging in the magsafe, it showed a very faint green light.

So what I did was opened the unit, disconnected the battery, primary and secondary hard drives, held the power down with nothing plugged in for 10 seconds, and its was alive again!! now... after plugging everything back and leaving the unit there for about 5 hours off, its happening again!!

This is a major concern for me because I don't want to be always opening the unit and doing a power reset every time this happens. I have suspicions that this is power related but can it be that these new drives are draining the unit in some way? everything was fine and dandy before this upgrade.

Anyone have any insights or ran into this issue before? Please assist!! thanks in advance. :)

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Not sure what your problem is and would bet there's a good chance that it's not related to the following but you should know that:

2011 uMBP-15s & uMBP-17s will not run SATA-3 drives reliably in the optibay. This issue is well known and documented on OWCs site.

While that may not be the problem causing your symptoms now, chances are decent that it will be a problem at some point, especially given the fact that you're running a hybrid in the optibay which will push your most frequently used data at speeds which saturate the SATA-3 interface.

Trade the hybrid in and get a 1TB SATA-2 drive for the optibay. Given the 512GB of 840 Pro in the primary bay, the additional 8GB of flash on the SSHD isn't going to give you much bang for the buck anyway.

>

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Put it back to its stock configuration.

If the problem goes away, then it's a confirmed incompatibility between your system and one or both of the aftermarket parts.

If the problem doesn't go away, then you most likely damaged something during the upgrade procedure.

4. bk201-88 thread starter macrumors newbie

@NewishMacGuy - Thanks for the useful info man! ya i didn't know that at all. Guess i'll slap that hybrid somewhere else.

@ Duervo - Ya i will be trying that tomorrow. Yay. =( back to the old school process of elimination! I was hoping that someone had ran into the same issue, thas ass it was worth a shot.

I will keep ya posted with the results. thx!!