Need help, upgrading drives in Quad G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RansomeW, Jul 2, 2012.

1. RansomeW macrumors newbie

I've done this before, but can't remember what I did. I have my current 2TB drive (2X mirror raided) backed up to an external FW drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I'm trying to get booted, so I can restore from the external, to my new internal raid. I'm booting from the Leopard installer disk, but it will only progress if I install Leopard on something, so I'm trying to install on the new 3 TB (2X mirror raid), to then boot from the new internal drives, then back up from the internal to the external.

1. Is there a better process that I should be following?
    2. The installed failed on the first go round, trying it again. Is there something I may have done in the raid setup that won't allow it to install the OS?

Thanks for your help.

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

So let me get this straight you have your old os and stuff backed up on a firewire external drive. And you want to install a new hard drive and are trying to do a fresh install on that then you want to put all of your files onto the new drive. And make a copy of that onto your old external drive.

----------

If it didn't install the first time check your cables, Verify that its mac compatable, Make sure your disks aren't copys or scratched. Then try again and hope to holy hell it works

3. RansomeW thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a backup (Carbon Copy Cloner) of my current Raid 1 2TB drive. I'm installing two new 3 TB drives, which I want to also be a Raid 1 (mirror). I'm trying to restore my external to the new drives.

Does that help? I'm at the Apple Store with a Genius, so hopefully he'll figure it out.

Thanks.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Sounds simple enough to me.
    Boot up from the external cloned copy, once running use Disk Utility to partition and set up your new raid disks, then use CCC to copy your system back onto the newly created raid system.
    Am I missing something?:confused: