Need Help Uploading to FTP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tjmisny, Mar 1, 2008.

1. tjmisny macrumors newbie

Hi -- please excuse the fact that I am a novice...

I am trying to upload video to my client's FTP server. I am on a powerPC mac powerbook G4. I am plugged into the internet via the wall connection in my school dorm.

The FTP programs I am trying are Fetch and/or Forklift.

I was sucessfully able to upload around 1.08 GB, however once a new upload hits a certain point, the connection "times out". It's always at the exact same point, with different clips, different programs.

What can I do to get past this barrier?? Also, my connection speeds have been around 90kb/s.... any tips on increasing this speed?

Thank you very much in advance... quick responses would be helpful. I have to get 6 more gigs uploaded ASAP!

TJ

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As far as the time out, that may be because the FTP server doesn't see a lengthy continuous upload as activity, but a "hung" connection, and automatically disconnects. Try opening another session every so often and move small files up & down, see if that keeps the main session alive.

The slow transfer rate may have no solution on your end, it may be because of other activity on the FTP server or traffic on that switch or subnet, or other network-imposed restrictions beyond your control. If you get the same speed regardless of time or day, then it's likely a "speed limit" artificially induced either by policy or hardware limitations; if the transfer rate varies widely, it's probably other traffic.

Try contacting your campus IT folks, they're the ones that have domain over both your issues. I assume that uploading multi-Gig files is an approved and expected activity.

3. tjmisny thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried your suggestion and the problem persists: whenever a new upload makes the total amount of things I've uploaded go over 1.06 GBs, the connection times out. I let things sit overnight, for at least 8 hours and the connection still times out...

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Check with IT then. There's either a limit being imposed, or there is something they need to get involved in. Somehow I doubt it's on your end.