NEED HELP...Urgent! Iphone bricked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cenetti, Jul 28, 2008.

1. cenetti macrumors 6502

All of a sudden, out of the blue I lost service, so tried to power off/on again (sometimes that solves that problem) After the boot, I got the "connect to itunes" screen :confused: So I did, and now itunes gives error msg " The iphone cannot be used with itunes because the information required for activation could not be obtained from the iphone"

One minute ago everything was fine, now this happened...
    What do I do now?

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Restore your iPhone. (And no, it's not bricked.)

3. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

how do I do that? itunes doesn't see my phone...

4. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

If Luis says so, then it's not bricked.

But that does sound like it's been.
    But I wouldn't know. So don't take my word

5. btnnaz macrumors regular

Try this power off your phone then hold the power and hold button for 10 seconds (EXACTLY) then after the ten seconds let go of the power but keep holding the home button. Your phone should now pop up in itunes with the ability to restore. but your screen on your phone should be blank

6. shayna99 macrumors newbie

Mee Toooo!!!!!

I am having the same problem. I had a very low battery and no service so I plugged in mhy phone to see if it just need to be charged to get service. it didnt work. So I restored it. I still have no service and cannot finish restoring my phone without it. I don't have a landline can anyone help me?

7. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I did that. It restored and after the boot same thing. Connect to itunes screen and itunes says " information required for activation can not be obtained from the iphone"

WTF?

8. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

If it restores successfully, then at least you are assured it works, which mean the phone isn't broke or something (bricked).

As far as the other message, check this thread, seems your SIM card is to blame.

9. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

thats exactly what's happened with me...
    so I need to get a new sim card from at&t store...
    beautiful just beautiful... I was waiting an important call this evening...
    and my sim card decided to deactivate itself out of the blue....

thanks anyway guys...I appreciate the help

10. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE ;

Ok, I went to At&t store this morning and after trying 2 new sim cards, still couldn't activate. So they told me to take it to Apple.
    Well, I went to Apple and again after 30 mins of trying, they decided that, it's bricked/dead/no-go/won't activate/won't work. So they gave me a new phone.

So in a nutshell, Iphone died last night. Lost signal (No service) and then
    All I got was "connect to itunes" screen and when I connected it to itunes I got "The iphone cannot be used with itunes because the information required for activation could not be obtained from the iphone"

That's about it.
    No phone since last night, missed a lot of important calls. I am pissed off and tired beyond belief. Oh btw, they didn't give me brand new phone.
    One in a white box. I had week 29 phone, now I have week 28..:mad:

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry to hear all that; did you try calling yourself to check your VM? I know when I did a restore my VM was empty...:(

12. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That is so strange!
    But at least you're up and running again.
    Was your phone jailbroken?
    What firmware were you on?

13. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, no VM.. all gone...

No, not jailbroken. It was running the same firmware it came with. 2.0

And all of these guys, I mean both At&t and Apple guys admitted that this was a first for them. I can't believe I am the only one. Hard to believe one in millions.

14. Mabanda macrumors newbie

SYMPTOM:

"(this iPhone) cannot be used with iTunes because the information required for activation could not be obtained from the iPhone. Check that the SIM card is inserted in your iPhone and that it is not PIN-Locked."

RESOLUTION:

If your phone is in a mode where it is waiting to activate and says "slide for emergency" then there should be a little "i" in a circle on the screen that stands for information. Tap the little "i" and then see what the IMEI # displays as. If the IMEI # displays as a number that is different than the IMEI # listed on the box it came in or the one etched on your SIM card tray then that is the reasoning.

You will need to call Apple in this situation and let them know.

The other problem sometimes is if the phone is in airplane mode when an update is being performed. The phone is not able to reactivate because of this. Simply slide for emergency, dial any random # and then the phone will present an option to disable airplane mode.

15. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

16. Doju macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Happened to me and I took it to an Apple Store and they returned it without flinching.

Does it recgnize the camera? Did for me.