Need help urgent!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bing, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Bing macrumors newbie

hey guys i'm new here.

i've made a mistake in installing windows onto my mac but its now taken over it and i cant get into mac. i need to know if it's deletebable without wiping the whole laptop.

thanks

2. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

Have you used Boot Camp? Which version of Mac OS X are you using? Please give more details so we can assess your situation and thus provide suitable advice.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

reset the PRAM (google: Resetting PRAM)

itll set your boot device back to OSX

if you are using bootcamp once back in there you can use bootcamp manager to delete the windows partition

4. Bing thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm not sure but no i havent used boot camp before and did it on my own which could also be a reason to why it went wrong

5. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

First try squeeks' suggestion, if that doesn't work, which it doesn't sound like it will if you haven't used Boot Camp and thus your Startup Disk hasn't been modified, then post here which software you used to install Windows. Parallels? VMWare? Basically, how did you go about installing Windows? Also, which laptop do you have?

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah we really need to know what you did to install it before we can help much

7. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

A couple of things to try...

First check your Control Panel in windows there should be an Icon for startup Disks In that see if there are 2 startup disks and select the one that Points to OS X.

Next thing to try is simular there may be a service running on your task bar (I am sorry I don't know what it looks like at the momement) if you choose it and follow some menus you should have a boot to OS X option

Third thing is when you are rebooting hit the alt/Option Key right after the Dong it may ask you to choose where to boot from.

Forth Check in widows check the size of your Drive if it is qual to the full drive of your mac then you have completly whiped out OS X and you will need to Reinstall everything again... Sorry....

In theory you could save your all your data but it will probably be easier to whipe it out and start over if you have no more options...

8. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

Good suggestions jellomizer, except they are troubleshooting steps for a Boot Camp installation.