Need Help, USB Boot drive w/o OSX installer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dnadrifter, Dec 26, 2012.

1. dnadrifter macrumors member

Hi All,

I am getting a new MBP on Friday and will be putting replacing the stock HD with a SSD for the OS and applications. There will be no data settings or anything I need to migrate. I just want to put the OS as it came on the stock drive onto the new SSD.

After researching, it seems I can only make a full bootable USB thumbdrive if I have downloaded the installer from the app store. But being this is a brand new computer I didn't have to download the ML OSX installer. Is this correct?

I know I can use internet recovery, but if I don't want to because of speed or just like the idea of actually having a separate bootable drive (like the old DVDs) are there any other options?

Am I missing something....hard to believe it can be this difficult....maybe internet recovery is the way to go.

Please help.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you have an external case for the HD it can be done much easier.

Put the SSD in the external, then use Carbon Copy Cloner and make a bootable drive, copy the internal to the SSD, if this is finished get the HD out and put the SSD inside the MBP and boot, that's it.

3. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

I do have an external enclosure. I have super duper which I think will do this as well....if not I could use the trial of CCC.

I guess I was thinking that somehow, doing a fresh install was better or safer than hoping everything got copied correctly? Maybe not??

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you just started with a new MBP I would not worry and just make a bootable OS copy on the SSD, SuperDuper or CCC will both do the job, CCC is free up to version 3.4.6 and can still be found online.

5. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

Okay. That maybe is the best way then. Curious though, if I wanted to make a bootable USB, is there an easy way to do it in my situation?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Superduper does not clone over the Recovery HD, so you would be better off with CCC. Like you said, the 30 day trial of the current CCC version is not crippled and will do the trick for you.

Like you mentioned earlier, you can't get ML from the App Store since you did not buy it there... but you can use this process to grab the full installer. Then use this free app along with a 8GB USB key to make your installer.

7. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

8. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

Won't this only work if I purchases the OS from the app store. If I didn't there won't be a ML OSX items there to push a button for, will there?

----------

If I purchased ML for my Mac Pro can I just make a bootable drive from that using my Mac Pro and then use it for the MBP?

Will I be missing anything like iLife, etc that may have come with the the MBP, but didn't come with the ML upgrade for my Mac Pro?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

10. niteflyr, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Internet recovery works well. You'll need a wired connection (ethernet) to recover a blank HD as there is no wifi software yet.

The Mac pro will make a bootable drive, but it may or may not install on your MBP.

Or this:

"use Spotlight to search for "Install OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion" on your computer."

If you can't find it then try this:

"If you completed your installation of OS X, your installer may have been removed after your successful first login to OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion. Mac App Store's Purchases page should show Install OS X as being "Installed", and disallow its download, when viewed from a computer running OS X.

To redownload the installer on a computer running OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion, press and hold the Option key while you click the Purchases tab. If the button to the right of the Install OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion item doesn't change to "Install" and allow you to download OS X, use Spotlight to search for "Install OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion" on your computer."

11. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

Is this on the mac pro or the new MBP. I guess I didnt think it would work on the new MBP.

I am now leaning toward just using internet recovery via ethernet. It seems this is apples preferred route since it is built in. I can wait a few hours I guess.

12. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I meant the new MBP. If you have a good internet connection speed, IR doesn't really take all that long. Not hours.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If you make a flash drive installer you'll always have it when you need it. Installing from a flash drive takes about 30 minutes versus up to 4 hours for Internet recovery.

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

(and yes, it works with Mountain Lion)

14. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

This doesn't work as there is no OSX in purchases even if the option key is held. In addition, spotlight search doesn't turn up an installer.

I can make a recovery OSX on an USB drive using recovery assistant, but it is only 1 GB so it isn't the full OS. I can boot from the USB drive but my guess is that it is going to access the internet to get the full OS. When I hit option on startup I get options of using the regular hard drive, OSX recovery (in the firmware I guess) and OSX recovery (USB I created).

I will probably just choose one of the recoveries when I put the SSD in and let it and the internet do its thing overnight. I don't get my new SSD until tomorrow anyway due to the way shipping worked out around the holidays, so I probably wouldn't have enough time to do the entire thing in the evening after work anyway.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Command + r will bring up Internet recovery if your HDD is blank. It will download the version of OSX that the computer shipped with.

16. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this as I have done the Internet Recovery a few times via WiFi.

17. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It has issues with WEP and WPA-enterprise encryption. If you use WPA/WPA2 like most users, you won't have any problems.

18. qwerty123123 macrumors newbie

OP, there is always the possibility to pirate..

19. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Ah right. Well enterprise shouldn't be a factor in home use, and it's pointless using WEP, may as well leave your network unsecured.

20. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

My Verizon installed router is WEP I see. I guess that was my issue. I had to connect an ethernet cable to the router to get IR to work for me. How is WEP insecure and should I switch to WPA/WPA2?

21. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

WEP is the oldest of the security types and can be broken in seconds (do a Google for how to crack WEP and you'll see a huge amount of tutorial articles and videos showing you how to do it).

Every network device has an IP address including your router, to find out what it is go to System Preferences> Network> Advanced> TCP/IP. The router address should look something like 192.168.1.1.

Type this number into your browser address bar and hit enter, you should then get asked for a username and password for the router. If Verison have supplied the router it is going to be a generic one, you should be able to find it through Google.

Once in you can change the settings, what it looks like depends on the router but it should have a section for wireless and usually the option to change the security type is in there.

This should be of some more specific help: http://www22.verizon.com/support/re...rnet/networking/setup/questionsone/123890.htm

22. niteflyr macrumors 6502a