need help using a mac without a monitor.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve knight, Aug 13, 2009.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I just got my wife a g4 so she can get started on osx. but for a bit I don't have a monitor for it. but she is blind so for general use she does not need it. I can use mine to get it setup. but I will need to access it to get it setup after I get leopard installed. is there a way to access her computer over my network? I would like something faster then logmein.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Use Apple's screen sharing. I use it to connect to my mostly headless Mac Mini (it's technically attached to my TV, but rarely use it as a monitor).

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just turn on screen sharing in system preferences-->sharing. Then just go to another mac and go to finder. Select go-->connect to server and type in the vnc server that it says on the sharing settings to control it. I would keep logmein in use on the computer just in case your IP address changes and you need to figure out what it is. You can set up a static IP address to avoid this. I can set this up through my router so I'm not really sure of the setup process from the mac but you can google for that.

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

found an old vga monitor in the garage. had to spend 12.00 for an adapter at bestbuy but it works for her.
    man those old monitors really suck compared to today's monsters.