need help using AirPort

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 4lisawriter, Feb 14, 2011.

1. 4lisawriter macrumors newbie

4lisawriter

i have a WIFI ready 2007 macbook Pro. i have my WIFI set up and my ISP is good to go. when i click on my network, I'm asked to enter the password. fine. done. then I'm asked to enter another password to allow Mac OS X to make changes. I don't know what that is. this is my first MAC and my first laptop. WIFI is brand new. sorry. i'm a little green.:D can somebody tell me what to do? i bought this laptop used.

thanks so much in advance for your help.

2. chasemac, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

You need to put in a password that allows you to make any system changes. It is the user password. Since this was bought used you may not have this password. Do you have the installation disk with the mac? If so then follow these steps. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274

3. 4lisawriter thread starter macrumors newbie

4lisawriter

TY Chasemac. I don't have any of the discs. I guess I'm confused because I used a friends WIFI a few weeks ago and i didn't set up a password. what would you suggest I do since I don't have the discs?

4. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

I am not sure why you needed to enter the system password to begin with while connecting to WIFI but you WILL need to enter in that password at some point if you ever plan to install software or make an system changes. I don't know of any way to change this without an install disc. You need to purchase or borrow an install disc that is at least the same version or newer OS than you are currently running.