Need help using Epson Stylus CX3800 with an intel-based Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Davaadtron, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Davaadtron macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Mac Mini to use at school this fall, and I was planning on using my Epson Stylus CX3800 that I've had for a while.

The Mini didn't come with drivers built in, so I went here to try and get them:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?noteoid=48205&type=highlights

The CX3800 is on the list, but when I go to install that, it won't install on this computer because it says my hardware "doesn't need it" or something.

I learned later that the easyprint app is for NON-intel based Macs
    Is there any way that I could get this printer to work at all??

Any help would be AMAZING; I really don't want to have to buy a new one...

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

what happens when you go to system preferences --> print & fax --> "+" --> more printers --> and scroll down to "epson USB" in the top pull-down menu?

If it recognizes the 3800, add it to the printer list and give it a try. The drivers should be present if you're running the default 10.4 install.

3. Davaadtron thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no "Epson USB" in that menu

4. Jestered macrumors 6502

Did you reinstall the OS and NOT install the Epson printer drivers? If so, you have to reinstall the Epson printer drivers off the Mac OS X install dvd that came with your computer.

5. Jestered macrumors 6502

I downloaded the Epson Easy Print module and went through the installer. I did not actually install it, but I got to the point where all I had to do was click the install button.

Download it here and try:

ftp://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson11890.dmg

It did not say anything about it not working with Intel based Macs. It did say that it will only work with Mac OS X in English & French though.

I am not even sure that is the actual driver for the printer though. Try it.

6. Davaadtron thread starter macrumors newbie

I reinstalled them, and still no "Epson USB"
    It has Epson Firewire, but that's it.

And if I try to select the driver for the 3800, when I add a printer, it's not on the list.