Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I did a search, but I did not come up with anything; so I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere else.

A colleague of mine at a state university is a first time Mac user. She is trying to get Firefox to display a Russian font for e-mail to students (only Firefox and IE are supported on the campus IT network), but does not know how. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I presume there are Russian fonts installed with OS X or able to be installed with OS X. If so, how can she access the font? Would it be possible to use the Russian font with Firefox? Or is there a way to use Safari as if it is IE? I don't remember the trick.

Thanks for any help.

mushkrot

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
I did a search, but I did not come up with anything; so I'm sorry if this was answered somewhere else.

A colleague of mine at a state university is a first time Mac user. She is trying to get Firefox to display a Russian font for e-mail to students (only Firefox and IE are supported on the campus IT network), but does not know how. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I presume there are Russian fonts installed with OS X or able to be installed with OS X. If so, how can she access the font? Would it be possible to use the Russian font with Firefox? Or is there a way to use Safari as if it is IE? I don't remember the trick.

Thanks for any help.

There are a Russian fonts preinstalled by Mac OS X. You do not have to install anything in order to make Mac OS X or Firefox and most other software to support Russian. The default font, which will support almost any language in the world, is Lucida Grande. In case of Russian language use Lucida Grande CY (which is means Cyrillic).

To make Firefox display Russian open Firefox Preferences, open the Content tab and change Default Font to Lucida Grande CY. This should be it.

If you have further questions please email me directly to highmac at gmail.com. I'm not visiting this forum often...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.