Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hope I'm in the correct forum. I have a Mini 9 that needs to have ubuntu installed and I'm using a Mac Pro. Following the instructions here but stuck at the end. If someone could look at my Command and tell me what syntax I need. I have successfully created the disk image on my Desktop (pic 1) but for some reason can't locate it? I have tried numerous ways (pic 2 and 3).

screenshot_13.jpg

screenshot_15_1.jpg

screenshot_16.jpg

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
UNIX is case-sensitive. The file is located at ~/Desktop/target.img.dmg or /Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg.

I have since used change directory (cd) to change to the desktop directory (and I used lower case and it's displayed as lower case as shown in pic). Still says it can't find the file even though I'm in the desktop and even used ls to list the files and it is there (see pic at bottom named target.img.dmg).:confused: There must be something simple I'm doing wrong.

screenshot_17.jpg

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
If you want to use the absolute path:

Code:
if=/Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg

Notice the "/" at the beginning and the "D" of Desktop (not "d", as pointed out above it's case sensitive).

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If you want to use the absolute path:

Code:
if=/Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg

Notice the "/" at the beginning and the "D" of Desktop (not "d", as pointed out above it's case sensitive).

just tried that and same results.

Code:
MacPro:desktop William$ sudo*dd*if=/Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg
-bash: sudo*dd*if=/Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg: No such file or directory
MacPro:desktop William$ *of=/dev/rdisk5 bs=1m
-bash: *of=/dev/rdisk5: No such file or directory
MacPro:desktop William$

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I had success with this method after renaming the target.img.dmg to target.img. You might want to give that a try. (If you do this from Finder, use the Get Info window.)

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
just tried that and same results.

Code:
-bash: sudo*dd*if=/Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg: No such file or directory
-bash: *of=/dev/rdisk5: No such file or directory
MacPro:desktop William$

Why all those asterisks in the command? Remove all the "*" and try again!

The command should look like this:

Code:
sudo dd if=/Users/William/Desktop/target.img.dmg of=/dev/rdisk5

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Aha! There's your problem. Those * characters should be spaces.

Those * appeared when I used the [code ] tag. They are not in the original but instead spaces so that's not my problem(s). Here is a copy of my original from Terminal.

EDIT: Strange, it seems the forum board is adding the * in for some reason. Below is the ACTUAL attached pic from Terminal that I did a Copy/Paste from.

screenshot_18.jpg

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I had success with this method after renaming the target.img.dmg to target.img. You might want to give that a try. (If you do this from Finder, use the Get Info window.)

This may be working because it's now asking for a Password: I have no idea what to put. I don't use a Password on my Mac Pro. What do I enter in the Password prompt?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This may be working because it's now asking for a Password: I have no idea what to put. I don't use a Password on my Mac Pro. What do I enter in the Password prompt?
You MUST have a password, even if it's blank... it's the same one you enter when asked to authenticate for Software Update.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If you don't have a password at all (which is a very bad idea, especially on an admin account), just hit return when prompted for a password.

I've of course tried just hitting return (over and over) but it says "Sorry, try again". Should I try and temperately make a Password and then try that or is there a way to look in he Keychain to find out what it wants?

Made a Pssword and now it's right back to saying "-bash: sudo*dd*if=/Users/Desktop/target.img*of=/dev/rdisk5: No such file or directory"

I'm about ready to do some bashing of my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.