Need help w/cloning hard drive (superduper!) URGENT

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andy348, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I just recieved my 500GB Seagate 5400RPM hard drive. I put it into the following enclosure:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392029

and tried to partition it. At first, it got half way through and then said that the Partitioning failed. I let it go on for about two more minutes ('cause it had no option to do it again, it was as if it was still in progress but everything was grey), then clicked on a new tab and stopped partitioning. Then the whole thing wouldn't show up on any computer, Mac or PC. I clicked the power button on the enclosure off then on again and everything seemed to work. I partitioned it and it went smoothly. Then I downloaded SuperDuper! and started the duping of my HD. It got about 11GB/100GB through (going at speeds of 5.4MBPS) and then said that it failed. I then retried (turning the power button off then on) and it showed up in Disk Utility but not partitioned. Now I try and partition it again and it fails.

Can anyone help?? Is it the enclosures fault, the HDs fault or am I missing a step I need to take?

EDIT: Right when I put in the drive, it says:

The Disk you insterted was not readable by this computer.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It may be the HD itself. try using SMARTReporter on it to see if it finds anything. Disk Utility also has a Verify Disk option that you can try on it.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I'd try using Carbon Copy Cloner, never had a problem with that. But if you had an initial fail with partitioning, it might be best to just RMA it with NewEgg and get a fresh one. They're really great about stuff like that...

4. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

Put it in my MacBook, booted from the SL disc and it said the drive was failing.

Claimed RMA for newegg and they expected me to pay the shipping fee to send it back. Talked to them and got that covered.