Need Help W/ Energy Setting "Put Hardware to Sleep When Possible"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VideoNewbie, Jul 16, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

i dont understand the "put hardware to sleep when possible" option in the energy saving settings.

isnt that the whole point of the 'computer sleep' slider ? it lets you choose if you want to put the computer to sleep at 1 minute of inactivity, 15 minutes,1 hr, etc. etc.

1.)
    why do they also need a "put hardware to sleep when possible "checkbox. is there another function that isnt explicitly stated?

what would happen if i left it checked vs unchecked with the computer sleep setting at 15 minutes?

2.)
    on another note, if i want my computer to run all night should i set the computer sleep setting at "never"? or is there a more efficient method.

2. aidogz macrumors newbie

aidogz

1) If you tick that box which is 'Put hard DISKS to sleep when possible', your hard disks will sleep when they can giving your computer a longer battery life, but will just mean your hard drives will have to wake up when you want to use them. It's just another way of preserving battery life as much as possible. It doesnt really have anything to do with the computer sleeping slider.

2) If you want the computer to run all night, I'd suggest sliding it computer sleep option to 'never' on the power adapter option and leave it on charge overnight.

Hope I could help :)

3. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

yes sorry i meant hard disk.

if i put the computer sleep option to "never" will unticking/ticking the box that says "put hard disk to sleep when possible" have any kind of effect?

i thought the computer IS the hard disk?

can my hard disk be sleeping if my computer is on "never"?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The hard disk can sleep without the computer sleeping. Your computer runs off of the information in memory/RAM. If the hard disk goes to sleep to save power there might be a delay the next time a program tries to access the disk because it has to start up again.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hdd longevity is the simple answer