need help: Wanna buy a macbook pro on ebay... what do you know?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dconstrukt, May 14, 2011.

1. dconstrukt macrumors newbie

i wanna buy a new macbook pro.

mines from 2008 the old style... love it, works well, but need more HD space... i'm almost maxed out.... and its dinged up.... the mouse is a bit messed up etc.

love the old metallic keyboard though.... so resistant to upgrade. lol

how do ppl sell these units?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...8695205&clk_rvr_id=232151245604#ht_500wt_1156

the 2 SSD hard drives are $549 a piece.

The unit runs over $2500 and its less than a month old.

Is this auction bs?

Also I see this guy on ebay all the time macman812

I see some stuff about him offering applecare at a discount and maybe its a fraud or whatnot.

The guy has THOUSANDS of positive feedback on sales.... has pretty good prices for brand new units.

he's got a unit like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/17-Apple-i7-2-8...ps=63&clkid=9140739653534610137#ht_823wt_1141

Is this real?

Can you buy new units like this from him at these prices?

Had a bad experience with ebay before, lost $1500 on buying one, so a bit leery.

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

First of all, never buy an expensive item from somebody with 0 feedback. You might as well hand $3500 to a wino on the street. The second auction link you provided looks more legit. There is a guy with 99 ish percent feedback selling MBPs.

I have lost money through ebay as well but I have some advice if you want to buy from ebay.
    1 - require 99% feedback or better with a score at least in the hundreds
    2 - require a money back guarantee with full refund
    3 - even if feedback is ok, go read detailed feedback and look for any negatives with "never got my stuff" or "not as described"
    4 - never participate in a bidding war. walk away. place your bid and then throw it out of your mind until the auction ends or better yet use buy it now if the price is not too inflated
    5 - check "completed listings only" for the item you are buying to find out what people are really paying for them. items with prices shown in red did not sell
    6 - never over pay for buy it now merely to get an item more quickly. a few bucks is ok, but if the buy it now price is more than 20 percent higher than the average "completed listings only" final selling price, walk away
    7 - contact the seller with a question. any question. see how fast they respond. those power sellers with 100K+ feedback will likely ignore you and you can walk away as they will likely ignore you if you have a problem as well. bottom line: if they don't respond quickly enough for you walk away.
    8 - try to find out if the item is less than a year old so you can still purchase applecare. btw, don't buy applecare "number only" on ebay. require an unopened box so you can be sure the seller isn't selling the same number in multiple auctions.
    9 - never deal with western union or any "proxy" service. paypal is the only proxy service worth bothering with and they are enough of a hassle.
    10 - it's worth the time setting up a "confirmed" shipping address with paypal because many higher price auctions require a confirmed address or the seller will probably cancel your bid and go to the next offer with a confirmed shipping address. sellers aren't the only scammers on ebay!
    11 - read the item description carefully for things like "parts only" or "needs repair". these details are frequently hidden between long paragraphs pasted in from review sites. if a listing has changed, be sure to click "show all revisions".
    12 - don't buy from sellers who say "ships from hong kong" unless you are willing to wait a month for the item and then pay through the nose for return shipping if the item is defective.
    13 - make sure shipping time estimate has the item in your hands while there are still 2 weeks in the dispute window.
    14- last time i checked, the dispute window is 30 days. if the item arrives and you aren't completely satisified, open a dispute immediately through paypal. it's easy to cancel a dispute but it's impossible to open a dispute after the dispute window has expired.

These aren't the only precautions dealing with ebay but they are all I can think of right now. Take your time. Don't be over eager. And be careful and you can do fine on ebay. If you decide to use craigslist, meet at a bank where you can withdraw the money and pay AFTER you examine the goods and there are plenty of people around if the seller tries anything seedy. i was once asked to meet at night in a parking lot of a walmart and the guy wanted to know what kind of car i drive and then wouldnt answer his phone as i was driving to the location. i decided i didn't need to save 12 bucks that badly and bought the item on ebay instead. a few months later there was a news story about somebody getting robbed and killed by a craigslist seller. i was doubly glad i turned back.

Now that I've laid all this out for you, you probably will find it easy to understand why I save my money until i can afford the item i want at the apple store. I use ebay and craigslist for low end stuff, not newer computers and the like.

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

probably buying the MBP from the first link, isnt that smart as the seller has 0 feedback. It could howver be someone who jst wants to sell his MBP and therefore created n ebay account for this and has never sold something on eby before, u never know. everyone has to start small at the beginning, doesnt have to be fake.
    i am suspicious of the 3rd image from that link, as he didnt take it, but pulled it from a website!! probably just so that people understand how there are 2 SSD's in the MBP, but u know he should explain that i think.

4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

5. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

best place to buy new MBP and imac is 'electronic king' store on ebay.

i bought MBP from them 2 years ago and now i will buy the new imac from them.
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/electronic-king-inc

6. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

As long as you pay through paypal you will always win a dispute.