Need help. Want Macbook but.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjenkins505, May 12, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

I will be attending Miami University next year(Ohio) and for the computer recomendations it says for the business school, (which I will be attending) they recomend a pc because of some programs. They do however say you can run bootcamp if you need to. I was wandering if any of you guys use bootcamp for work purposes or school purposes and how it works. Are there any programs that do not work while using bootcamp? I really want a macbook, but if it cant run certain programs I wont. Also with bootcamp do you have to buy windows for it? Sorry I asked a lot of questions here.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you have to buy Windows and every program for Windows works. When you are running Windows in Boot Camp, you are working on a PC, just like if you had a Dell, Sony, HP, Acer, etc.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

For clarification, if it will work on a PC with the same specs, it will work on a MacBook under Boot Camp. All of your programs should work fine.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buying a Macbook just to run Windows on it doesn't make sense on so many levels. If you're actually going to take advantage of what OS X has to offer, fine, but save your money if you're only going to run Windows.

5. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

I'm defiantly going to use the OSX. I will just run windows in case i ever need to. Also I have windows Xp on the computer I am on now, but I do not know where the XP CD is. Is there a way to get Xp onto my mac from my computer?

6. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

No, at least as far as I know, you need to install Win as any other OS. Also, you need to register it, thus I suppose you cannot install Win from the same disk you already installed in your present PC. You should buy a new license.

Also, BootCamp is not the only software that allows you ot run Win and win softwares on a mac. There also exist other options, such as Parallels which I currently use for some win-dedicated software I use for research.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...you can get OEM versions of winXP for $70...sometimes less if you look hard enough...

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

That's not always the case. My mac runs windows vista smoother than my dell inspiron. :confused:

He could easily use OSX for personal use and windows for his school projects. It's great to be able to use both operating systems depending on your wants, needs and mood.

9. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

You can get Win Vista/XP for free from your university with MSDNAA. ;)

10. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

Whats a OEM version? and where do I get that version at?

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

OEM is what is sold to PC makers, it is just the disc and a license and tied to a certain piece of hardware. No manual, no support.

Look on newegg, they are now called System Builder versions.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'd go for the macbook. I have yet to find a program I need on windows that I cant find a better mac equivelant for thats compatible for the windows version.

On the rare case I need to run Visual Studio I boot into windows either in bootcamp or vmware. Usually vmware and I put it in another space.