Need Help (what to buy after macs stolen)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macaholics, Mar 4, 2011.

1. macaholics macrumors newbie

Long story short...

Had 2 macs stolen and used insurance money to replace them and then ended up getting the stolen machines back. Insurance let me keep them so I ended up with three 13in (mid 2010) MBPs and a 21in iMac (late 2009). I sold one MBP for $900.

My wife has one MBP, I have the other, and we use the iMac in our home office. The iMac is my favorite of all the machines. My wife and I both have iPhone 4s.

I'm thinking about selling my MBP and getting an iPad 2 but don't want to regret not having the MBP. Most of my use is netflix, web surfing, twitter, facebook, and some light word processing.

Has anyone done anything like this? I like the portability of the iPad and I'd be able to trick it out with some pretty nice accessories. I have someone that wants my MBP for $900 and am considering pulling the trigger but just wanted some feedback from the mac community.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iPad lacks a physical keyboard so if you're going to do any serious writing, you would be better off with the MBP. A compromise would be an 11" MBA. It's almost as portable as an iPad but still a fully featured computer.

3. epb87 macrumors member

If you needed the dedicated word processor, you could always use your iMac or maybe even your wife's MBP?

I would keep the portability of the MBP. You are limited in your capabilities otherwise.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would keep the MBP ... just curious, how did you get them back?

5. macaholics thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up selling my MBP for $1000 and plan on ordering the 16gb 3G iPad 2. I really believe that the iPad 2 will fit my needs well (at least I hope).

Here's how I got the stuff back~I found out who did it. The police were able to recover some of the stuff I lost. The "bad guys" took a 21 in iMac, trackpad, 13 in MBP, 42 Sharp LCD, xbox 360, and iPod touch. I got both macs and the xbox back. The iMac screen was cracked from top to bottom and the MBP was pretty rough with dents and scratches. I've included some pics.

We filed a claim to get the stuff replaced so we had to contact the insurance company about the goods that were recovered. They said to keep it since it was damaged (YAY!). That's how we ended up with 4 macs.

The iMac was having the black smudge/smoke problems in the screen so I took it to Apple to have them look at the crack and the smoke. They said they'd take care of it for free ($455 worth of repairs). I had them look at the MBP too and they went ahead and covered the repairs on that too ($735 worth of repairs). I picked up the iMac 3 days later and it was perfect. The MBP was shipped the following week and it was perfect too.

Apple customer service was amazing! It sucks that my house was burglarized but I think we came out pretty good.

Attached Files:

6. utl768 macrumors 6502

i wish my house was robbed

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

correct me if i am wrong, but iPad does have the Pages app [obviously a paid application] and you can use the wireless keyboard on the iPad, right?

so wouldn't that sort of solve the minor typing issues?

but i can see where a MBP / or a laptop will come in handy, maybe you could buy a netbook?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can do that but I don't think it's a very good setup for sitting on couch and typing for example. It works on table but iPad still has some limitations (e.g. if you have Pages open, then you can't have nothing else so researching and writing a paper at the same time might be painful).

9. macaholics thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not too hip on the whole keyboard thing myself. I don't plan on doing much word processing though and I also don't like that you can't have multiple pages open like on a computer.

I also would like to have some of the features the trackpad has. Maybe Apple will release an update. :apple:

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

nice to hear the thieves got caught ... enjoy your new gear :cool:

11. rekhyt macrumors 65816

May I ask what type of insurance you have for this?