Need help! what's the best i-phone charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by klamco, Feb 24, 2012.

1. klamco macrumors newbie

I have a 3 gs and a 4 and all the home plug-in chargers don't work anymore. I've purchase (4) replacements and they all don't work either. It's the small 1 in. square type. I've tried genuine Apple and aftermarket ones and they all suck pretty bad. I can't seem to find any answers or good reviews on what's the best replacement choices. I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm following the rules and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

If 4 chargers dont work then it might be a problem witht he cable or your device.

3. klamco thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me add or correct myself. All these were working fine when they were new. Some would stop working after about 6 months and some stopped working after a week or two. I went onto the Apple site and noticed that people were having trouble with the genuine Apple ones going bad quickly and they cost about $30. I've actually bought 5 aftermarket ones and after a few weeks they all don't work anymore. I'm having the same problem as those on the Apple forum, either phone will not recognize the device or sometimes it will charge at rediculus pace like 1% every 30 minutes and sometimes it will actually work! but that seems to be happening rarely now. Seems pretty crazy that people can't seem to find a brand that's dependable. Any suggestions?

----------

Want to add that my family has 3 i-phones, two 3gs's and one 4 and this problem is happening on all 3 phones. It's very frustrating for us to get any of these chargers to work either sometimes or at all so I'm pretty sure it's not a cable or i-phone problem. If we plug them into the computer then they'll charge but not with the wall chargers.

----------

I'm also able to charge with the car charger but want to purchase some dependable home/wall chargers.

4. Legios macrumors regular

Look at environmental issues like dirty power in your home. Do other things break power-wise in your home? All of my cubes that come with the phones have worked since I have had them, only a belkin aftermarket cable has gone bad because of release clips that have bent.

Edit: If you charge with the cable thru the PC/MAC does it work?

5. klamco thread starter macrumors newbie

Doubt it's dirty power because this problem happens with these same cubes/cables when my son plugs it in at his dorm wall outlet and my wife plugs it in at her office wall outlet. They all charge when hooked up with a home pc or mac laptop with the same cables that are attached when trying to use the cube in any wall outlet. So I doubt it's the cables. Everything keeps leading back to the cube because it's the only method that won't work.

6. klamco thread starter macrumors newbie

O.K. folks I need some input. Who has a 3GS and /or a 4. What kind of aftermarket Wall/Home charger are you using? What are some pros and cons for some brands that you've tried? I'm looking for a couple of reliable types that hopefully won't keep crap'in out on me.

7. sindekit macrumors member

Have you tried the iPad charger? It's pretty good and charges you phone quicker. And it's only $30 bucks! And if it breaks, just bring it back to the store for a replacement!

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Pay attention to the specs when buying. Sounds like you're buying chargers that don't supply much current. Aim for 1000mA/1A. USB charging is typically 500mA (and slow).

Where are you buying from? Make sure you're using a reputable vendor. There are poor quality knock offs out there.

9. mscann macrumors member

I have bought a few of the ATT Zero chargers on ebay for short money and all have worked well for me

10. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I guess you are not getting many responses since the Apple iPhone cube works well for nearly everyone. I have had many iphones (3G, 3GS and 4, 4S, and 3 of each), all my chargers work fine.

Do you have a case on the phone? Check that it does not prevent the charger from fully engaging into phone. I've seen this happen. If you don't here the ' ping' when you insert the charger...there is a possible poor connection.

I googled around, and have find very little reported problems from the Apple cube.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Never had, nor known anyone to have issues with the Apple chargers.

I have a couple of Griffin chargers, office and reading chair at home and have worked very well.