NEED HELP! which 15" with SSD should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimithing, Feb 26, 2011.

1. jimithing macrumors member

Ok so I am torn, I can get a student discount so here are my two options that I am considering...

low end 15" mbp w/ 256gb SSD = $2,239
    or
    High end mbp w/ 128gb SSD and High Res Glossy = $2,179
    or
    Low end mpb w/ 128gb SSD, High res glossy, and 8gb Memory = $2,149

I use my computer for surfing the net MOST of the time, but I would like to get into WoW and possibly counter strike or other steam games (I USED TO DIG THEM, BUT I MAY NEVER DO THIS, I JUST THINK I MAY HA)
    I am also an amatuer photographer, who would like to get better, but I have a 500gb external I dont mind using for storgage, I also have an 11" MBA 1.4/64GB

So to sum it up I surf the new, take some HD video w/ sony bloggie, and take DSLR pics, But I dont mind storing them on a exernal and 256 is plenty... not sure about 128 though... I am afraid to even put pics on my 64 11" MBA for some reason (I DUNNO WHY MY LIBRARY IS MAYBE 5GB or PICS and 6GB of music) and I dont download my movies/TV shows I stream them from the internet so QUALITY of videos isnt paramount to me as long as it looks as good as say a 720p tv does... or even a SD tv JUSt not BAD resolution, so i dunno about the high res screen it may just be the man in me that wants something Ill never use or need.

SO any OPINIONS or SUGGESTIONS! would be greatly appreciated... thanks yall

2. lesyork macrumors member

I would personally say the 128GB high end with the upgraded screen, no RAM. Get it at a later date from someone else.

3. bastienvans macrumors member

I'd go with base 15" with AntiGlare (a photographer's favorite). Upgrade SSD down the road when they are cheaper.

4. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB GDDR5 :cool::cool::cool:

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

No matter what you go with, it must be the high end 15". The low end graphics card is not good at all.

6. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

*High Five*

The extra 128gb isn't really worth it anyway. Get a nice enclosure and stick a 3tb drive in there, there's plenty of storage for you :D

7. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

so your telling me that i would notice a difference in the graphics card when doing things like:

MAIN TWO THING I DO ARE Surfing the web, watching internet videos like hulu which I will be projecting to my flat screen LED high end TV via a McTivia box which if you don't know what that is you should learn here is the site:

http://www.macworld.com/article/157521/2011/01/mwvodcast151_expo_mctivia.html

OTHER THINGS I DO 1 BEING MOST
    1. Photo and video editing in aperture and imovie
    2. I don't do it now, but I want to maybe get a WoW and Steam account but im not a stickler for graphics, so I wanna know is the 6490 good enough for HALF LIFE 2 and WoW or will it not be playable?

8. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

ok so I get that 128 is enough I kinda think so too, but now my question is do I need the higher end graphics for the things I mentioned in my last post w/ gaming being #4

cuz i would like to get the low end w/ 128 save money if I dont need the high end graphics for the things I listed...

9. DanFreemanPhoto macrumors member

You want to edit photos and video, and you're getting a glossy screen?!

Just LOL! Do not get glossy, you'll regret it as soon as you open the lid!

10. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Obviously 1gb is good for games, 256 is barely enough even now.

11. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Yes this post is true. If you are ONLY surfing the web and using hulu, go for the low end. But if you are doing a little video editing and some gaming, definitely go for the high end. Personally, I am going with the 15" high end with Anti-Glare display.

12. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

see the thing with the anti glare is its a 140 dollar option, I NEVER notice any glare on my screen... I work in a darker room for the most part...

So besides glare (which I stated I don't notice on my MBA and never noticed on my C2D MBP 13" 2010) are there any benefits from the anti-glare? or just the fact that its anti glare?

And its more photo editing, but when I start school in the fall I see myself going into some video and photo classes. havent picked a major yet, Im 22... gotta get on that lol...

So, by your statement (just to clarify) for just photo editing do I need the 6750 graphics w/ 1gb over the 6490 w/ 256gb? and do I need the anti glare for any REAL benefits besides glare (such as quality, which I already mentioned im not one with an eye for quality, I just cant really differentiate say a 720p tv vs a 1080p)

13. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

any ideas?? Id like to order today so Id appreciate a response LOL sorry if that is a little needy, don't wanna be THAT guy

14. DanFreemanPhoto macrumors member

If you're working in a completely pitch black room, then get the glossy. Otherwise get the anti-glare. Most pros say the colour accuracy is better on the anti-glare anyway.

My sister has the glossy MBP, and I have a glossy display on my Toshiba laptop at work. It drives me nuts.... reflections everywhere! I'm constantly moving my head to see the text behind the reflections.

Apple is loosing a lot of customers due to the glossy screens on the iMacs and cinema displays.

I would get an iMac, but I cannot live with glossy screens.

15. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

If you are only doing photo editing the 6490 will be ok. But you said you might do some slight gaming and video editing so I hold my ground and get the high end 15".

EDIT: LOL, sorry for the wait. I was with my dad ordering my macbook pro :)

16. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The 2.2 GHz model has the best specs/price ratio.

If you're comfy with a few tools you can replace the RAM and HD yourself and save a few bucks. Otherwise, I'd recommend the 128GB SSD and 8 GB upgrade.

Screen type will depend you how you use the computer. If you can control the lighting and don't use it outside then the glossy will likely be the best choice.

cheers
    JohnG

17. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

Wait a month for the Vertex 3 to come out. Don't waste your money on an SSD that only supports Sata II.

The new MBP support Sata III and the Vertex 3 runs at the same price and current second gen SSD's

18. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

anyone else? I really wanna make this purchase today.. also do you think im better off buying through apple with student discount or going through powermax with no tax... i think i save like 40 bucks with powermax...

19. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

well we don't know that. everyone is assuming they are using a sata II SSD from toshiba or samsung when infact, since they are using SATA III and knowing apple I think they may have used a SATA III drive, meaning it would be a stellar drive for a great price...

But like I said I havent seen any info on what kind of SSD they are using

20. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Apple because you can customize it.

21. lurrego macrumors member

If you can wait till at least next week, macmall informed me they would have machines with the custom options available by then, and, at least for me, no tax

22. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

yea macmall has tax for me in minnesota. I almost bought one last night over the phone. they confirmed it and everything gave me my price and I was like HA no i wont pay 150 in tax... 2050 for the low end with a printer they talked me into... no way jose!

And PowerMax has customizable options right now... its kinda weird to get to the page though. go to macbook pros, then at the top before you see the diff models theres a option that says "configure your own" in the middle of a sentence, you click on it and in bring you to pick your model, then select you customizations, and then you have to wait, for me until monday, for them to email you with a price, but it will be tax free... so im assuming it will be less than apple with tax and student discount... maybe im wrong tho... I kinda wanna wait to hear from powermax though before I buy from apple today and then im kicking myself later.... ordering today serves no benefit anyway, it wont ship til monday either way from apple or anyone I believe. I wish I could get student discount in the brick and mortar stores... but I cant... I dont have a student ID or any of that garbage I go to a very small school....

23. jimithing thread starter macrumors member

so does anyone think 128gb might not be enough... and i should buy the 256... right now i have about 5gb of music and 5gb of photos to transfer... so i guess i was thinking id get the 128 for now since its 90 bucks and i really want SSD, i wouldnt go any other way after my 11" mba.... so i was thinking 128 for now see how it holds up space wise over the next few months and when I get close to 128, order a 256 and then use opti bay for the 128, or stick it in a old macbook i get for a couple hundred on craigslist to have as my beater laptop for in the car and such affairs... or for sticky fingers lol jk

24. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I had the non glare as well as the glossy screens on various Apple tools. I pre fer the glossy. Good luck