Need help, which MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wolvngelz, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Wolvngelz macrumors member

So i'm really tired of waiting around for the update.

Need help choosing between the 2.2 and the 2.4 15".

Main purpose : Video Editing, some games, surfing.

I'm looking more at the 2.2 because of the price but I don't wanna get it and regret not getting the 2.4 which is a a few hundred dollars off.

Sure some of you will tell me to check out the benchmark scores but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 2 machines?

2. timtam macrumors member

Depends on several things:
    How heavy your video editing going to be?
    How tight your budget?
    For gaming surely the 2.4 have a better graphic card.
    If you do heavy video editing and your budget is quite tight, I reckon to add more RAM into the 2.2, it should do your justice ;)

3. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

I will add ram to both machines regardless which i end up with.

How abt the 2.2 current version vs. the 2.33 with 256mb vid card older version?
    Should I bother looking into the 2.33 at all?
    From what I understand the 2.33 supports only up to 3Gigs of Ram and if I have the 2.2 I will have 4Gigs of Ram, correct?

Well i'm not sure how I would gauge my video editing intensity but I usually shoot on a DVCam, convert it and then edit the clip. Mostly amateurish work (i'm in College).

4. Harryt223 macrumors member

I don't think 0.2 or 200MHZ will do a lot.. or a dual processor 400MHZ.. isn't going to be much of a change.. spending that extra bucks on ram is worth it instead... jack it up to 4GB ram with the 2.2GHz ;)

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

6. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

from barefeat's tests i don't think the price justifies about 3-8 fps advantage for the 2.4 model. they were older games though, i wonder how the two models are with the newer games.

7. timtam macrumors member

Correct 2.33 only support 3Gigs Ram, Most people .2Ghz difference will not making any difference, my point of view its somewhat true. But, If you willing to get the 2.4 instead the 2.2, I'm pretty sure the reseller value would be greater than the 2.2Ghz, Investment wise ;).

Seriously, if money is not an object for you, I recommend you should get the 2.4Ghz (good investment ;), Better video card, faster video editing). :D

8. kis macrumors 65816

Get a BTO 2.2ghz with a 250g harddrive and buy two 2gb RAM modules for it. That's probably the cheapest way to get a VERY fast computer. I love mine...

9. agojes macrumors member

I think the OP will jack up the RAM no matter what model he chooses.

IMO, get the higher model. It's just that you don't get a buyer's remorse in the end.
    It's true that maybe .2GHz x 2 won't make a difference. And as far as the other components, you can find a way to upgrade it (RAM, Hard Drive). I don't know if you can upgrade the Video Card. Therefore, get the 2.4GHz model with 256MB of Video Card and you won't be disappointed (of course money is not an issue in this case). But if you have a tight budget then it's a different ballgame.

I just bought my MBP yesterday and I chose 2.4GHz just because this issue. I also shoot video with my handycam and convert them to DVD as well. So, I guess I'm in the same boat as you are.

Currently, I'm inquiring of 2 modules of 2GB memory stick. It seems quite hard to get in Indonesia.

Question for Skyrider007, what version of Vista do you put in your MBP? Bootcamp or virtualization software?

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

1. Home Premium 32-bit (60 quids delivered from Amazon.co.uk)
    2. 20GB BootCamp partition (5GB fee space after installation)
    3. VMware Fusion Academic Version (US$39.99 from VMware Direct)
    4. Vista Aero Interface doesn't work on VMware

11. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

Hey Agojes, I'm at Singapore for sort of a shopping holiday and ebay.com.sg has reasonable prices for 4 gigs of ram (S$139.80). Link is here

Or, I think OWC delivers to a lot of places in the world.

I'm from Brunei so I can understand if you didn't wanna deal through mail. (my shipment from US never arrived)

12. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the 256MB video card is what i'm really eye-ing for the 2.4 Ghz. I wish there was a BTO for the 2.2 to upgrade your card to 256.

Here's the updated situation though:

Either get the 2.2 with Apple Care + 4 Gigs RAM

or, get the 2.4 with nothing else.

13. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Get 2.4 and use it as it is. Buy AppleCare 11 months later and upgrade RAM to 4GB when the money comes in (the later the cheaper).

14. agojes macrumors member

Agree....
    Couldn't think otherwise...
    It's the perfect way of saying it.

I think the only downside is you don't get for phone support from Apple after 90 days of purchase. But if you don't live in the States, it doesn't really matter, does it?