Need help wiping iMac before selling

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by missyellow, Sep 30, 2007.

1. missyellow macrumors newbie

My brother passed away unexpectantly & I need to wipe his imac before selling on ebay. I am not a Mac person or very technical so I hope to get assistance from you savy folks. I found the install discs but need instruction - easy, basic instructions. Anybody willing to help?

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you and your family get through it as best you can. (sorry, I'm a bit crap at condolences).

As for the mac, just boot from the install cd (insert the disc and restart while holding down "c" on the keyboard), quit the installer and go to "disc utility" (it's in one of the pull down menus in the menubar at the top), highlight the harddrive in the sidebar of the application, choose "Erase" in the button options towards the top of the window, and click "security options". If you're ultra worried, choose "35 pass erase", but be prepared to leave it overnight or longer, it will take a while. 7 pass or even just zero out should suffice.

Again, my sincerest condolences.

3. missyellow thread starter macrumors newbie

disconap, thanks for the quick reply and your kind words.
    I am at work now but will follow your instructions to erase tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you so much!