Need help with 10.2 Password Reset

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by herzograven, Apr 6, 2009.

1. herzograven macrumors newbie

i have a collegue who is still running 10.2 (yea i know, time to upgrade, but they haven't felt the need for it yet i guess)

anyway, someone changed and forgot, or someone did it to be a jerk, either way they are unable to update any software or even log in

just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to rest the password

the computer is stuck on the log in screen currently and they can't access anything

any help would be greatly appreciate it

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Wow, bad luck dude!
    Tell your colleague to write down his p/w next time.
    Unless, of course, the Mac was obtained through nefarious means....

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can reset it by booting up from the system DVD.

OR:

Start up in single mode and do the following:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you actually read the post, you will see that the password was changed by someone other than the owner without their knowledge or consent. There's no need for accusations of theft.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the password reset, though.

5. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Sorry for the accusation, Blue, as I do respect your knowledge and help on these boards.
    Sorry to the OP as well. It just seemed that something smelled very fishy in the original post. To me, it seems almost impossible someone else could change my admin u/n and or p/w. And with the OS at 10.2, it seems it's been without the admin u/n or p/w for quite some time.
    I rarely toss out accusations, honestly, but this one smells bad to me.
    I hope I am wrong.
    Morod
    PS... To the OP: I cannot offer any help either.

6. herzograven thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both for your help, greatly appreciated

well the deal is that this computer wasn't used on a daily basis in their household (hence why it's still running 10.2) and one of their family members passed away in feb. of this year, so i'm guessing either they had set the password or something of that nature - beyond that i have no idea what else happened or went on with the machine since i first saw it when i set it up in 2005, and then just saw it again when this problem came up

if you were implying that the machine was stolen or the OS was pirated, it's not, which is why it's still running 10.2 and it's a G3 iMac - not exactly latest and greatest hardware even by 2005 standards

7. terramir macrumors newbie

you can reset the master password by using the mac install disks, however you may or may not lose some data in the process. I found my emac in the trash a few days ago and apple is actually sending my new install disks free of charge :p
    so if you got the install disks laying around you can reset the password and well instructions are right here :p
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274 you gotta scroll down a bit but what you need is the install disk and hold down C while booting :D
    hope this helps
    terramir

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If you have Filevault active, you won't be able to unlock your data, your account will just be reset and your old account .sparsebundle archived.

9. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

My most sincere apologies, herzograven! I am sorry to hear of your troubles and am glad you are finding help to fix the problem. Forgive me, please.

10. herzograven thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot, they do have their install disks, so i'll try that first
    also, i tried doing everything on that page you just liked but that didn't help so far, i'll try again later in the week

thx again

PS: "I found my emac in the trash a few days ago and apple is actually sending my new install disks free of charge"
    that's because apple is kickass and that's why we love em :apple:

11. herzograven thread starter macrumors newbie

like i said, i have no clue what is or isn't on that machine, but based on how infrequently that machine was used, i doubt filevault would be active

thx for the help

12. herzograven thread starter macrumors newbie

it's no big deal, no need to apologize, i just mentioned that the machine/OS wasn't stolen cause i didn't want to get in trouble for something down the line just for trying to help someone out - now the key is to be able to help them out :confused: