Need help with 24" ACD USB issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmoore5196, Jun 20, 2010.

1. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

My 24" Apple Cinema Display is about six months out of warranty. I've tried both my 15" i5 MBP and my MacBook Air with the same result: The USB ports at the back are dead, I get no sound from the monitor speaker (it still routes through the laptop speakers, such as they are) and the iSight appears dead as well.

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of the problem without my carting it to the Genius Bar first?

Since the display works normally otherwise - the marvelous display itself is unaffected - I have to assume that the problem lies either in the USB cable or connection, or in some sort of internal USB/Speaker/iSight bus. If anyone knows how the current crop of ACDs is constructed, or if you've taken yours apart, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks for your time!

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Question?

Don't you folks in the UK get automatic 2 year warranties on purchases that override the Apple 1 year. I thought there was a consumer protection law that supports this? Maybe it's just for computers and not monitors?

3. jmoore5196 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

My understanding is that the two-year inclusion covers computers and not peripherals. I have no problem paying for the repair in any case ... I'd just like to avoid hauling the display down to the Apple Store, et al, if this is a software or known problem.

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

It seems strange that it all died at once. It could simply be a cable issue.

5. jmoore5196 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

My thought as well, Mike.

I do not know if all three are tied together internally, but I've given up and will take it in for repair.