Need help with 3.0 (yes, i'm registered ACTIVE developer)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cx300, Mar 20, 2009.

1. cx300 macrumors member

Let me just start with this: I am not one of those people that ran out and grabbed a dev status just to get my hands on 3.0....

I have had 3.0 on my phone since it was released, and i love it. I can deal with most of the bugs no problem.

The only problem that I had was my iPhone would NOT SHOW UP in iTunes, so i started with the basics: restart iTunes, restart iPhone, change users, re-install iTunes. After that did not work i resorted to some more measures:

• force restore mode and re-install 3.0 (error)
    • try to re-install 2.2.1 while in restore mode (error)
    • tried every downgrade thread there is (errors)
    • used a USB Hub (with my 10.5.6 early '08 MBP to try to install 3.0, 2.2.1, and pwned 2.2.1 on iPhone
    • tried installing 3.0, 2.2.1, and pwned 2.2.1 with DFU mode
    • tried every guide as to getting out of restore mode

is there anything else ANYONE can think of? I have an appointment with the Genius Bar at 7pm but really need my phone today, I am also not very anxious to hear what they say about me running the 3.0 (use at your own risk??)

I intend to not leave there until my phone (or a new one) is working... we will see what happens

and please no "thats what you get for being an early adopter...."

Thanks for your help guys!

UPDATE:

I'm not the only one...
    https://devforums.apple.com/message/42644#42644

UPDATE #2:
    There are LOTS of Devs having this problem... The reason the iPhone is not showing up in iTunes is because you need to re-install the SDK, there are helper files that allow iTunes to connect to the 3.0 software

Some nice guy named Jon e-mailed me the step-by-step to get my iPhone working again:

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't think that you will get any help from people at the Genius Bar. The 3.0 update is beta and for developers to test their new applications with. I wouldn't think that they would be trained on 3.0 yet until it gets closer to the launch date.

3. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, but i will argue "OFFICIAL iPhone software locked up my iPhone, not doing anything illegal, get it out of restore mode doing whatever possible, weather he/she can do it or by getting a new iPhone"

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You installed the 3.0 update at your own risk. You should probably re-read the terms and conditions again. The 3.0 beta is only meant to be installed on an iPhone that you as a developer use to test your new software with. It is not ready to be used as an every day phone yet.

5. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know that, but don't you think Apple recognizes that most developers can't afford to have a device just for testing? I mean Apple touts that ANYONE can start programming for the iPhone...

6. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

Guess that request didn't work... ;)

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you truly are a developer, then I would call the developer support line. I would not take it into an Apple store as they will most likely not be able to do anything about it.

Here is the developer support contact page: http://developer.apple.com/contact/phone.html

8. nos macrumors member

First you must register your device in the iphone dev portal.
    Restart iTunes, reconnect your iphone.

This procedure worked flawlessly for ALL my testing devices.

Good luck!

9. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, truly I am and I will do that, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Will keep you guys updated.

EDIT: Just went to call and realized i don't have a working phone! guess I'll have to wait until I get to the office

10. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

It IS registered, my software worked up until last night when i tried a restore because it would not show up in iTunes, I did not downgrade, I restored from 3.0b to 3.0b

Proof:
    [​IMG]
    Real Name in top right of Pic

11. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Very silly question but, are you running the latest version of iTunes?

12. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I actually am running into a similar problem. My phone activates fine. Itunes just won't sync with it. It shows up under devices on the left but screen never goes to ask me if I want to set up as a new phone or restore from a backup. Weird? Running iTunes 8.1 too so not sure what it would be...running 10.4 as well. Any ideas?

13. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

I am running the latest version of iTunes... re-installed 3 times...

My phone activated just fine too, and then asked me if I wanted to restore and it worked flawlessly so I cant help you there.

I think I stand a chance of Apple fixing it because
    1) it is running legit software...
    2) it didn't connect to iTunes, so a quick restore mode should have helped asap , but now in this situation

I cannot call Dev support because I am working in the field today and literally will not have access to a phone at all today...

life sucks!

14. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

15. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Are YOU a developer? Obviously not. Apple does not treat their developers like scum, as you have alleged. Regardless of developer or consumer status, Apple still has an obligation to "users".

If 3.0 is "not working properly" on a developers iPhone, thats a BIGGER issue than any problem a lowly consumer has.
    Apple does everything it can to help its developers, they do not cast them to wind saying, "Your mistake for choosing to test with our buggy beta..."

16. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

i fixed it.

it wasnt an activation issue, it simply was locked in restore mode...

http://thebigboss.org/2009/03/19/iphone-v30-beta-do-not-use/

Go to Step 4 for Mac, download the iRecovery utility, and follow the
    directions for installing it

Once you boot your phone into recovery mode and use 'iRecovery -s' to
    connect, run the following commands