Need help with 30'' ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlbertEinstein, Jan 24, 2013.

1. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

Hello Macrumors! I managed to score a 30'' ACD for a very small amount of cash, mostly thanks to it being broken. Somebody has cut off the DVI and FireWire wires, thus rendering it unusable at the moment.

However, i plan to fix it up. But i do have some questions.
    First of all: Is there any way that i can try it and see if it works? I have the power cable, and it looks intact.
    And second: Any ideas about how to resolder the DVI? I heard that the FireWire isn't needed for day to day operation.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Albert

2. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

Thanks

Thanks Giuly, that will come in handy!
    However, i still wish to test the screen to see if it starts up. Is there no way to do that without using DVI?

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Without a signal connected to the screen, it probably won't do anything. If you apply power it might "boot up" temporarily, but as soon as the DVI connection realized there is no display signal it will most likely go to sleep. Even if it doesn't, what does applying power without a display signal prove? That the power supply works? You won't know if the display truly works until it has a video input of some type.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

OP, you're in luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-A1083...Monitor_Replacement_Parts&hash=item2a28882511

You can't test it without a signal. What if the backlight is not working (which is common with the 23" Alum, but sometimes the 30").

P.S. Firewire isn't really needed, but USB is a must at least (display becomes a hub) for keyboard and other peripherals (if you're wired).

5. AlbertEinstein thread starter macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

Thanks SDAVE, bought it and will try to replace the wire!