Need help with a bag (Timbuk2/Crumpler/Caselogic/others)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vpr, Aug 16, 2009.

1. vpr macrumors newbie

Bought a 2009 white macbook (in China) - It came as part of a bundle with several things:

• "Pearl mCover" case. Only picture I could find of it was here (mine is "Aqua" not pink) and the company's website is here.
    • A neoprene sleeve. This sleeve has no branding on it, it's black with a white apple logo on it, and a white plastic border around it.
    • A carrying bag made by Sumdex - no other branding on it. A google search shows this picture
    • A screen protector
    • one of those silicon keyboard covers
    • Cleaning solution for the screen
    • I also purchased a moshi palm guard

The lady told my girlfriend (in Chinese), not to use the strap on the bag, because they've had lots of people say that it just breaks. I tried to ask for a different bag, but they wouldn't budge.

Needless to say, since most of those things were 'cheap' and part of the bundle, I'm looking to get some better quality things. I'm mainly looking for a sleeve and bag. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money, because I'll either have to find it here, or have someone ship it to me from the states (I'm still in China). Around $65 is about my MAX, and I don't really want to spend THAT much.

I was looking at these:

1. Timbuk2 Commute Slim
    2. Timbuk2 Coder Laptop Case
    3. Timbuk2 Coder Laptop Case - Don't like this one so much.
    4. Caselogic Canvas Messenger Bag
    5. Caselogic Lightweight Sport Messenger Bag
    6. Crumpler Skivvy Small

I don't carry a lot, the notebook, the magsafe, a wireless mouse, and maybe a notebook/file (for work). Safety is the number one concern, as theft is quite high in China, especially for mobile phones. So, I don't want it to advertise so blatantly that it's a notebook (or even an apple). Secondly, I'd like to be able to fit the Notebook, with it's case, inside the sleeve into the bag - don't know if that's possible or not.

I'm open to suggestions not on my list, just remember cheap with decent quality.

Thanks,
    vpr

2. theJamie macrumors member

I use a caselogic bag I bought discounted to like $12. It does exactly what you want. I suggest looking around at stores for on sale stuff. I bought mine at the dillard's department store. Any of them probably would work for what you need.

3. vpr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, there is no Dillards in China, but I'll see if one of my friends back home can take a look there for me.

4. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Where are you in China? If you're in/around Beijing you can hit up the Apple Store as they have a pretty good selection of bags if I remember correctly.