Need help with a Canadian iPhone 3G question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Womper, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Womper macrumors newbie

Ok, so I talked to my Rogers rep on the phone and they said that I was able to do a hardware upgrade. I have never had an iPhone and the Rogers rep said something to me today when I went into the store that really started to freak me out.

I am getting the phone with NO data as Rogers is really hooping us (As we all know) And the Rogers rep asked me how come I am getting an iPhone without a data plan. I explained to her that at my work I have WiFi available and at home as well so there really isn't a huge need for data right at this time. The Rogers rep then told me that WiFi would be disabled for regular use unless it was an authorized Rogers hotspot. Is there any truth to this statement or is the rep as clueless as I am about the phone and what it can do.

FYI, I plan on turning off 3G and EDGE. Is that possible on the new phone in the settings?

Thanks for the help guys.

2. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I cant see how they would be able to do that....if so they can keep the iPhone and I will go to a version 1. It wouldnt surprise me if they somehow do that though, they are Fn crooks after all.

3. Womper thread starter macrumors newbie

She rambled on about the iPhone being a branded rogers phone therefore they could do that. I honestly think I am just overthinking her stupidity. But is is possible to have a modified iPhone that blocks WiFi? And is Rogers allowed to do that?

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

If so then that is just plain wrong of rogers to do such a thing.
    i think she was just trying to make you buy the data plan. If rogers blocked out wifi signals, which it shouldnt be able to because 1.it's apple's software on the iphone not roger's and 2. how the hell would they purposely lock you out of your own home wifi network(considering you had one) that they have no control or rights over. If a device is designed to have wifi access in no way shape or form should a wireless company tell you where when and how to use that functionality that was built for that purpose. Thats like buying macbook pro and being told by apple u could only use that wifi at starbucks.

Essentially she was just feeding you sh*t. Go back to her and slap her one for me.

5. Womper thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't honestly beleive her either but you know how that little seed get's planted in your brain and it grows and grows and well, you know. I think logic wins this one that Rogers can't block a WiFi signal as that wouldn't make any sense.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

What's sad is this type of misinformation is passed on on a daily basis by these service reps and one day when you're trying to have a conversation with a buddy about a device he spouts out some drivel he was told by some sales rep as if its was fact without actually researching for himself.

I guess I'm just really bitter towards sales reps cuz I used to be one, and was forced to peddle crap to customers when i didnt want to, lol