Need help with a decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by biggiet4jets, Nov 4, 2016.

1. biggiet4jets macrumors member

So, I am in the market for a new Macbook and am wondering if this is a good deal? Or should I just buy a new 13.3" MBP with touchbar?

2015 15.4" MBP with 256SSD, 2.2 GHZ i7 processor with integrated graphics for $1400 shippped.

I will use the computer for coding with apps such as NetBeans, Sublime Text, Axure, and running a virtual machine with windows 10 for Access and SQL server.

Please let me know, thank you.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Depends upon who you're buying the 2015 15" from. i.e. are they reputable?

3. biggiet4jets thread starter macrumors member

Good eBay sellers, yes. I wouldn't buy from them if I wasn't sure.

4. biggiet4jets thread starter macrumors member

It would be a used one. Just don't know at that price point is it worth it, or just wait and see if it goes on Apples refurbished page.

5. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

If you can live with the fact that it is used, then get the 15".

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I think the lowest price I've seen for a refurbished 2015 15" with iGPU from Apple is $1,699 (but I think it was also a 256GB model). So if that $300 savings really matters to you, I would say it's a decent price.

7. biggiet4jets thread starter macrumors member

That's true. Do you think it would be substantially better than the new MBP w/ touchbar? Performance wise?

8. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

I had the same question a while back. I was hoping to get better performance in the new 13" so I could stay compact, but apparently the performance difference between 13" and 15" is much bigger than that of a generation.

9. biggiet4jets thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. I know the new 13" MBP w/o TB is fast but can only imagine how the ones with TB are. I love the space gray color but I think last years 15" is still one of the best computers on the market.

10. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

I also really like the space gray. I've been using a 13" Macbook for several years, and I thought I needed 15 inches to optimise working on my music projects, but I'm so used to 13" and it's been enough so far. The only thing making me consider 15 is that apparently it's a lot better for games. I'm not a hardcore gamer, which is why I've never considered a PC, but I do wanna be able to play the best mac games with decent settings. I still don't know if the 13" TB will be able to. I'm waiting for them to come out so I can see reviews.

11. biggiet4jets thread starter macrumors member

Very true. If I can get a 2015 MBP for under 1300 I will put the trigger, but if not I am waiting to see reviews for the 2016 ones.