Need help with a Linksys and Airport running together

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bDIN, Feb 29, 2008.

1. bDIN macrumors newbie

I recently bought an Xbox360, so I bought a Linksys wired router to share my DSL connection with my iMac and Xbox.

I figured I could connect the modem to the Linksys... connect my Airport to Linksys port 1 and the Xbox to Linksys port 2 and that should do it.

The problem is, only one device can connect online at a time. When I'm on the iMac, the Xbox won't connect. When I'm on Xbox LIVE, my iMac's Airport icon will read "looking for PPPoE."

Anyone know what I might need to do to fix the problem? Do I need to adjust my Airport settings?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to set up the PPPoE account on the linksys, and then have the rest of the network on DHCP.

And turn off PPPoE on the computers.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Set the router to connect to the internet using PPPoE, then have it serve up DHCP and NAT to the other systems, then have them just get their address via DHCP, not PPPoE.

TEG

4. smokerz macrumors newbie

you can do some research at Linksys site and they have information how to do that. Although don't waste your time because you'll need to place the Linksys in bridge mode and the Linksys under that condition with the Apple or any other second router does not work well.

If you want an easy way then buy an Apple Express and have it create its own network. Set it up in bridge mode and enjoy your xbox360.

5. bDIN thread starter macrumors newbie

My Airport is an Express. So I need to set it up as its own network? I'll make an attempt this weekend.