need help with a macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ragez0r, Apr 18, 2016.

1. ragez0r macrumors newbie

ragez0r

okay so my friend recently purchased a gutted macbook pro it was missing the HD and both ram sticks...
    plugged in a 500 gb toshiba and purchased 2 ram sticks for a total of 2GB.. brought over my authentic copy of OS X tiger.. boot up. slide disc in.... slapped option and that button next to the digit 1....~ i think... and i get a white screen with a curious folder in the middle...all it asks is for wifi pw but it wont boot up into the disc or give the option to....tried another hd.. and after replacing the 500gb toshiba.. now it just beeps and hangs on the black screen...please help.. he paid me 100$cad to fix this & id like to keep it :) the cash that is....

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

OS X Tiger?

Are you sure that you are competent enough to do the job?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Anyone that is able to help you will need more information about the computer in question. What year and model is it? Which specific version of OS X Tiger (10.4.x) are you trying to install?

4. ragez0r thread starter macrumors newbie

ragez0r

the osx tiger came with an EMAC i had purchased myself some time ago.. as for the macbook pro i believe it is a 2010 model.... and the tiger os is version 10.4 nothing more is written on the box...

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That system shipped from Apple with either OS X 10.6.3 or 10.6.4. You can't use an older release of OS X on newer hardware.

Get a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and use that. Any OS newer than that will run like garbage with just 2GB of RAM. Check eBay.

Not very ethical to be charging a friend $100 for something you don't really know how to do, IMO. I'd do it for nothing for a friend, but then again I'm very particular of who I call a friend. Others (and you may be like this, I dunno) are rather liberal with their use of the word "friend".

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Well, I think it's acceptable to ask questions even if you are getting pay, since one cannot possibly know everything. For example, "How hot do you think that I should set this heat gun?" or "Where do you think I should start prying?"

That said, in this case, however, I think that it is disingenuous to charge for the job when one doesn't even have a basic understanding of how to do the job (ie. trying to install OS X for PPC on an Intel-based Mac).

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Any version of OS X that shipped with an eMac isn't going to work on a MacBook Pro. The eMac has a PPC processor and the MacBook Pro is using Intel. Also, as someone else already pointed out, the Mac won't boot off of a version of OS X older than what it originally shipped with.

Fortunately, it sounds like the 2010 model you have may have had the firmware updated to allow for Internet Recovery. Read through this support article and give it a try.

Either way, I agree with the others. You may want to give the $100 back and cut your losses. You may be in over your head.

8. ragez0r thread starter macrumors newbie

ragez0r

yes, i will agree with most of you.. however here in Quebec (french part of Canada) we are all brothers different mindset i suppose.. the macbook pro is very likely stolen which is why i discontinued any repair on the macbook... even captn kirk had values ( in case u r unaware, he was born in Montreal, Quebec) well william Shatner anyway, but if none of you know how to fix this, by all means close the thread :p

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You have a couple of good tips already.
    The Tiger install just won't work. Even if your MacBook Pro CAME with Tiger, the ONLY Tiger install disk that will work is one of the DVDs that originally came with that MBPro. Even Apple's commercial Tiger installer DVD can't work, as it is PowerPC only.
    If you really have a 2010 MacBook Pro, you will run into similar problems even with Snow Leopard, unless you can find the original DVD that came with a 2010 MBPro. Better to go with a newer version of OS X, I think.

If you still get 1 or 3 beeps when you try to boot, the memory may be incompatible, or just not seated properly.
    It would help if you can verify what model you have. You can input the serial number (from the bottom of the case) into several sites that will decode that serial number to tell you which specific model you have.
    Come back with that info, and someone will help assure you of which memory sticks are correct. MacBook Pros can be quite finicky about not-quite-correct RAM sticks.

And, of course, if the hard drive was removed, then the SATA cable might be damaged - it's quite fragile, and you cannot usually see any visible damage. If you suspect the cable at all, just replace with new.

10. ragez0r thread starter macrumors newbie

ragez0r

thank you, the moderator may close this thread as the macbook pro owner did the sensible thing and pitched the laptop (notebook) out the window.....

11. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Do we have video or picture confirmation of this? :confused:

12. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

You can just refund it.:)