Need help with a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dont24, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dont24 macrumors regular

Trying to help out a co-worker. I believe it's a 2006-2007 machine running Tiger. At bootup, it never gets to the login screen. I see the cursor moving, but that's it. Never gets to the login screen. If I try booting in safemode, login screen comes up. Enter password. I can move the cursor around, and that's it. Bacjground and a moving cursor. Nothing else. Other downside is the dvd drive doesn't work, so I can't try booting off the tiger dvd. Any ideas on how fix? I tried holding down the shift key as soon as I see the blue progess bar. I get the login screen, but I get the spinning beachball.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Might be disk damage. Since the DVD drive won't work either, try booting in Single-User Mode (hold :apple:+S at boot until the command prompt appears). If that works, try this:
    1. Follow the directions given to make the boot volume writable - the command is given when you first enter Single-User Mode
    2. Run the filesystem check (fsck) command with the f and y options (to force a check and fix any problems it finds)
    3. Re-run the command until it says the disk is OK, or it encountered problems it couldn't repair

When I say run the filesystem check command, I mean typing this:
    Code:
    fsck -fy
    ... at the command prompt then pressing return to execute it.

3. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that, along with /sbin/mount -uw /. Filesytem fsck's fine. Tried moving com.apple.com.loginwindow.plist aside. No luck.
    Disk looks okay. I did past the spinning beachball. But it just doesn't fully come up. Background with a cursor. That's all.