Need help with a Multisystem Plasma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by M. Malone, Nov 13, 2007.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

hello everyone, I'm in the market for a Multisystem Plasma HDTV. I'm traveling abroad to where PAL system is used, I own too many nice electronic to give up, HD Camera, PS3, Xbox 360, etc. So I decided to buy a Multisystem TV since I can get great prices here then ship it overseas.

Basically, I need the TV primarily to play games in HD, and watch Bluray and HD-DVD. So I'll REALLY be utilizing the HD capability. Right now I own a Samsung DLP, great picture. I'm hoping the new Plasma I get will at least have the same picture if not better. So I have narrowed it down to this Hitachi my only concern is the resolution which is 1024x1080, seems really weird. I just want to know if these specs will give a great picture.

I'm also open to any product recommendations, keep in mind they must support PAL and have an international voltage.

2. illicium macrumors regular

that resolution is a typo. the 1080 is the horizontal lines of resolution and should be the smaller number especially at the 16x9 Ratio. The first number is the one that is incorrect. I am not sure exactly what it is supposed to say tho. maybe 1920x1080. I think thats right.

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It may be a typo, but there is no way that TV has 1980x1080 resolution. Plasma technology isn't small enough to cram that many pixels into a 42" set, not to mention the site says the maximum resolution it's capable of is 1080i.

4. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

checked out the official Hitachi website, all of their 42 inch TVs are stated to have 1024x1080....now I'm confused

Specs on a 42 inch Plasma

5. illicium macrumors regular

1080i and 1080p are both 1980x1080

the 1080 in 1080i represents the horizontal lines of resolution hence 1980x1080

I don't personally know that much about Plasma because I personally don't like it. Plasma's have the shortest life spans of any of the HD TVs and they are also the most expensive. Right now, I think DLP projection is the best bang for your buck. BEAUTIFUL picture, and not amazingly overpriced. The only drawback for them is they aren't wall mountable, altho a 50' is still only 1 foot deep, unlike most other types of projection TV's.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

non-square pixels :p

7. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

WELL! I DID IT! I went for the Hitachi 42" Plasma multisystem, should arrive next week, I'm excited that I'll get to keep all my electronics I bought from here when I move. (PS3, which is a multisystem machine anyway, Xbox360, Handycam) I'm a little worried about picture clarity, I just hope that it's sharper than the DLP I have now.

This is it