Need help with a NAS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emvath, Aug 27, 2012.

1. emvath macrumors regular

I am hoping someone can answer this for me. I'm a bit computer dumb sometimes. Is there a network attached storage device I could buy for home use that will work with both Mac and PC? I have a macbook and a Windows 7 desktop and I'd like to be able to access my music / etc. from both computers if I could.

Not sure if that is possible or not. I'd like to get 1-2 terabytes if possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Any NAS will work because they use an OS-agnostic language for file access. It's not like a USB drive where you have to worry about what filesystem it is formatted with.

A NAS might be the right solution for you, but think carefully about how you will use it, and more importantly, how you will back it up. A better solution might be to use the desktop you have now as a media server, and back that up, either to an external drive, or to a NAS.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. jefbond macrumors member

The only thing that I would keep in mind is that not all NAS's are compatible with Time Machine. If you're not worried about this, then you've got no problem. If you are, then I'd just make sure that the one you get is specifically compatible with Time Machine for your version of OS X.

I bought one a few months ago, only to have to return it because it was not compatible at all and their customer support, along with many forums, verified the incompatibility. The brand I bought, btw, was D-Link.