Need help with a networking term

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Jul 14, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I'm staying at a friend's house for a bit. He lives on the top floor and he has lent me a room in the first floor. Now, his wireless signal is not too good in the first floor, and he asked me for my "IP address" to input into his router's system and allow the signal to be strengthened. I'm not sure how to look for this, and I'm not even sure about the terminology. Can anyone help me out here? (I'm a tech/Mac/computer buff, not a network geek):p

Any help will be appreciated.

UPDATE: After I've scrounged around in System Preferences, I found my AirPort ID from the AirPort networking preferences, and in the form 00:xy:yx:yy:xy:yx where the x's are numbers and the y's are letters. Is this the one?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That is your MAC address (which has nothing to do with Mac).

If he wants your IP Address, if you go to System Preferences->Network->Airport It should tell you your IP Address right under where it says Status: Connected.

3. Fenir macrumors regular

If you are at his house you would get his IP address.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, so I need my MAC address. How do I find out my MAC address? I found it from an article on Apple.com. It's very similar to my AirPort ID. Which one exactly do I need? It's for wireless networking

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

System Prefs->Network->Airport->Advanced->Ethernet->Ethernet ID

If you are running Tiger it may be called Airport ID, this is your MAC address.

6. hitnrun7 Guest

Your friend is abit out of it.

He wants to set up a static IP, which will not make your signal better. He either assigns you an IP then you configure it on your mac in network settings, or he finds your address out and inputs it into the router.

It wont really help signal.

7. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

after thinking about it, I think what they really have is a Mac address filtering setup. If I were to join this via wireless, and not via wired means, I should give my AirPort ID, no? Not my Ethernet ID?

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pretty sure Apple refer to MAC Ethernet address as AirPort ID. They're one and the same. So long as the format is 00-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx/00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx it's the right piece of information.

9. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

but there's two different ones. Ethernet ID, and AirPort ID

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

One is for ethernet (cable) and one for wireless (AirPort).