Need help with a Printer for OS 8.6, G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikeshep, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mikeshep macrumors newbie

Hi, I am lost in information overload and really need some direction. I have an old G3 powermac that i keep in service to access older documents created in
    OS 8.6 which is the OS that's on it. My 1990-ish HP laserjet 4ML gave out this week and I need to replace it. I need a replacement printer but am not clear what the requirements need to be to connect to the G3. Ideally I'd like something newer than a 4ML-era (i.e., beyond the series 5MP and 6MP models).
    I know it has to be PS, and that USB isn't an option... I like the HPs. It seems the simplest route would be to get an HP that has the appletalk connector port,
    but if i can go with something more modern without any hassle i'd do that.

DTP is not my thing but i do have some graphic layouts that i need to use a printer for off of this machine... I'd also like to stay under $200 since it's
    a fairly low to moderate volume of printing on this particular mac.

Thanks for any suggestions folks,

Mike

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

8.6 is really an old OS...

I would browse around some support sites of HP printers, and try to find which printers still have driver support for Mac OS 8.6.

Maybe upgrading that G3 to Mac OS 9.1 could help..? IIRC you can print to network printers via IP with Mac OS 9. AppleTalk wouldn't be a necessity then. Might help you out a bit...

Good luck.