Need help with a simple question (I think)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by motownflip, Jan 5, 2011.

1. motownflip macrumors regular

I am running out of room on my HD because of movies on my laptop. I want to be able to store movies both on my time capsule and my MBP. I want to do this in a way that my apple tv2 will be able to locate the movies in both places. What is the best way to do this? Thanks in advance.

2. dragon13 macrumors member

dragon13

I had the same problem a while ago. I was down to about 6 gigs of free space.. I put most of my media on an external and hooked it up to my airport extreme. I was able to access all my files without any problems.

I streamed to my ps3 using medialink. It worked basically the way in which you want. It allowed me to share folders from both my computer and the external.

Also, IIRC if you have movies on an external and you hold option while adding them to itunes, it won't physically copy the movie to your HD (it'll keep it wherever it is and look for it there). I assume if you do this with your time capsule drive it'll work the same. Then you can just use itunes sharing to stream to your apple tv.

I don't have a time capsule or apple tv so I'm just guessing...

(I just got a NAS box from synology and it has made life MUCH easier)

3. motownflip thread starter macrumors regular

not sure if that answered my question. How can I make itunes look in two locations for movies?

4. dragon13 macrumors member

dragon13

I'm not sure if it works this way on the time capsule, but it worked on my external.

When you add a movie (or any media) to itunes, while dragging it in, hold the option key.

This will add it to itunes but the movie itself will remain on the external. (Basically it will be organized, look and function as normal, but the data won't be added to your main HD)

So for example (I'm just gonna pick two random movies):
    Say you have Zoolander on your mac and Superbad on the time capsule.

Zoolander is physically on your mac and so there are no problems. itunes looks for it on your comp

For the other movie:

Open your time capsule and while holding option drag Superbad into itunes.

It should add the movie info and seem as though it's on your computer, but it's just linked to where it is on the drive.

If everything worked (and as long as you're connected to the network) then you should just be able to stream both movies to your apple tv thru itunes.

Edit: Sorry, this is all assuming that you're using your time capsule as a networked drive and not just for backups.

I hope it makes sense..

5. motownflip thread starter macrumors regular